PDF's not uploading to container field.

This topic is 1678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Filemaker Pro 17.  I have created a container field with 'interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc.)' checked in the Data tab in the Inspector. PDF's won't upload.    I've uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader DC.  I've tried other PDF files and they just won't load.  What am I doing wrong?  (I've done is successfully in the past with Filemaker 15 with the exact same PDF files).  I'm using a MacBook Pro with MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.2 (18C54).

Edited by Dellana

The "Assets" starter file has a nice big container to use for testing. I changed its settings to Interactive:

image.thumb.png.007c57861095476fd18ed18193aa504c.png

then right-clicked to Insert PDF.

image.png.d450fa26c6221022d3f4fc2ecd6a7599.png

image.png.2078acfd6d3ed2fac5c01dbb12e2942c.png

Can you do the same and test on your workstation?

Perhaps this discussion is relevant to your setup?

https://community.filemaker.com/message/779329?commentID=779329#comment-779329

Thank you so much for helping me, bcooney!    

When I right click the 'insert PDF' is greyed out.  'Insert Photo' and 'Insert File' are black and usable.  I did find the PDF file and inserted it but all I get is an icon and the name.  

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 5.26.30 PM.png

10 hours ago, Dellana said:

When I right click the 'insert PDF' is greyed out.

Please try the attached file:

1. Are you able to see and interact with the PDF file in the 1st record?

2. Are you able to insert a PDF in the 2nd record, using any of the following methods:

• Selecting Insert > PDF… from the menu;
  • Right-clicking in the field and selecting Insert PDF…
  • Using the provided script.

Also, did you update your FMPA to the latest version (17.0.4)?

InteractiveContainer.fmp12.zip

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Comment:  1.  No, I cannot see or interact with the PDF file in the first record.

2.  No, I am not able to insert a PDF in to the 2nd record using the first 2 methods.  I don't know what you mean by 'Using the provided script'.

Thank you for helping me!  

bcooney - I had not changed the setting to interactive but I just did that and, while I can now choose 'Insert PDF' I can not see it.  When I right click on the container field I now get the option to 'Reload' and nothing else.  But the container field is blank.

Thanks you again!

comment - my apologies.  I updated to 17.0.4.400 as soon as I got the notification to do so.  I've been considering uninstalling and reinstalling. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 9.30.26 AM.png

I am somewhat confused, because first you said you could not insert a PDF in my file - but later you said:

24 minutes ago, Dellana said:

bcooney - I had not changed the setting to interactive but I just did that and, while I can now choose 'Insert PDF' I can not see it.

I know for sure that the container in my file is interactive, so that doesn't add up. I am also not sure what do you see in the container, if you can't see the PDF. Do you see an icon and /or the file name?

12 minutes ago, Dellana said:

I've been considering uninstalling and reinstalling. 

I don't like recommending it, but if my file doesn't work as expected on your system, then there's something wrong with your system. Do you have any plugins installed?

• Like 1

Comment - I am confused, too.  In the comment to bcooney (46 minutes ago in your first screenshot)  I was using the Filemaker Asset database as she suggested - not yours.  🙂

In your file that you sent me, I see nothing.  No file name, no photo, nothing.  In either record 1 or in Record 2 (after I try and insert a PDF which is what I did before taking this screen shot).  Nothing.  

Record 1:1465010102_ScreenShot2019-01-20at10_16_31AM.thumb.png.2b149d628a4a73b9a4bbab05841cb4aa.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 10.16.31 AM.png

Comment - I see the time is changing in the screenshots (I didn't know it does that when I said 46 minutes in my comment above).  I was referring to your first screenshot in your last comment to me.  The one made by bcooney.  Sorry for any confusion.  This is my first time posting anything in this community.  

Comment - No, I have no Filemaker plug-ins that I know of.  I didn't install any. 

Edited by Dellana

bcooney - I just removed Adobe Reader

and restarted my MacBook Pro.  Still the same - can't see the PDF in the container field.  I just created this 3rd record.  

I get that little image of the PDF on the header but none in the container field.

I'm thinking that uninstalling and reinstalling Filemaker 17 may be a good idea?

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 2.36.40 PM.png

Edited by Dellana

1 hour ago, bcooney said:

Remove Adobe Reader on you Mac.

Why do you think that would help? I have Adobe Reader installed on my Mac and I experience no such problem.

38 minutes ago, Dellana said:

I get that little image of the PDF on the header but none in the container field.

I believe those two fields are one and the same field. If you changed the large one to be interactive, that should be the only difference between them (apart from the reduce/enlarge format). So it would seem that you are able to insert a PDF into an interactive field, but you're unable to interact with it. 

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Comment - I did try that just now but no change.  See my comment above.  I used the Asset file in my comment above, but I just tried it with your file and I still can't see anything in Record 1 or insert a PDF in Record 2 (or any new ones I add).  However, I can insert a photo.  

29 minutes ago, comment said:

I believe those two fields are one and the same field. If you changed the large one to be interactive, that should be the only difference between them (apart from the reduce/enlarge format). So it would seem that you are able to insert a PDF into an interactive field, but you're unable to interact with it. 

Comment - Yes, that seems to be what is going on.  It acts like it has done something because after I try to insert a PDF when I double click to try again because I can't see it the only option I get (with no other greyed out options or anything else) is 'Reload'.  So it seems to think that something is in there but it is not visible.

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 3.24.56 PM.png

10 minutes ago, comment said:

When you say you cannot insert a PDF in Record 2 - what exactly does that mean? Is the menu option greyed out, or is it enabled and you just don't see a result of the action?

No, them menu option is not greyed out - it's black like the other options.  I go find the file, double click it (or click 'insert) and nothing shows up in the container field.  When I right click to try it again I just get the 'Reload' option like the screenshot above.

When trying to insert the PDF this is what I see:  

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 3.29.44 PM.png

I can insert an image, though.  

Screen_Shot_2019-01-20_at_3_33.45_PM.png

Edited by Dellana

2 hours ago, Ocean West said:

Quick way to convert non-interactive PDF's to interactive....

https://www.teamdf.com/blogs/change-containers-from-files-to-interactive-content-in-an-instant/

Ocean West - Thank you for answering.  I read through your article and tried out your example file.  I'm afraid it's a bit over my head how to implement the information.  I'm not an experienced Filemaker user and trying to build my first app.  I am using the written tutorial for Filemaker 15 and the video tutorials for 17 to do this so that is my experience and knowledge level.  

You can see what's in the container field easily by looking at the result of GetContainerAttribute() in Data Viewer or a calculation field. However, I think at this point it is clear that  something is malfunctioning on your system. It could be a bad installation or there's something extra that interferes with the Adobe Reader embedded in the FMPA application.

Try the advice offered here, and if that doesn't help, try re-installing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bcooney, comment and ocean west - thank you all so much for helping me!

Comment and Ocean West - I did remove those Acrobat reader things but that did not change anything.  I still couldn't insert PDF's into the container fields.

I've uninstalled, restarted my MacBook, redownloaded and re-installed Filemaker 17 and it now works!  

bcooney - I can add PDF's to the container fields in the Asset database.

comment - I can now add PDF's to your file.  In your Record 1 I can see Page 1 and Page 2 (see screenshot).  

Thank you all for helping me!  This newbie appreciates all of you!

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 8.29.38 AM.png

Edited by Dellana
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

hello,

i have the same issue.

i'm using FM 17 Pro Advance with Acrobat Reader installed on Windows 10.

The PDF icon is seen shown in the interactive container. if you uninstall Acrobat Reader, it ask you to save or open in other application.

I think there is a problem with FM 17 Pro Advance, because many have been experiencing this.

Please pm me updates if there has been a fix with this. Thanks 

Neil

This topic is 1678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.