Search within current record

greenhorn

This topic is 1884 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

[Folks: I'm not really sure where to post this question; the TOC or possible places is a little intimidating!]

FMP 17, Mac 10.14.2

Question: Is there a simple way to search for text within a record, showing the result in a useful way?

Setup: I have several databases that I've been using since back in the day when every table was distinct. One of those is called 'Memo', which functions just like the name. I learned long ago that while FM works OK in this way, it is hardly a word processor. I work with this restriction for many reasons. And, I just keep it simple.

From time to time, though, these documents become lengthy. And, from time to time, I need to find something in my current record. To do so, I search by Memo number and then by the desired text.

This is hardy a burden. But repeat the process sufficiently and one starts to look around for ways to automate.

Worse: FileMaker can't highlight the candidate found text.

The word processor model yields more useful information: command-F, type the desired text, press enter/return. Depending on the software, either every instance is called out by underline or some other method, or the first instance is shown, while the next instance appears when the enter key is pressed, or similar result.

As I said, FM is a database. It is not a word processor. But finding text is also part of database basket of tricks. 

So, as a newbie I looked around in the FM documentation. I always wondered what Quick Find actually is/means; but after playing around with it, doesn't look like it's going to help me.

So, back to the original question: is there a simple way to search within a current record, and to display the result in a useful way?

Greetings and welcome,

Partly depends on the amount of terms you ware searching on, and if the search request has other criteiron

FileMaker's quick find will search all fields on the layout including a large text field. 

Perhaps a way to highlight a string inside a text field try http://www.nightwingenterprises.com/demos7/demo701.html

1 hour ago, greenhorn said:

The word processor model yields more useful information: command-F, type the desired text, press enter/return. Depending on the software, either every instance is called out by underline or some other method, or the first instance is shown, while the next instance appears when the enter key is pressed, or similar result.

Filemaker is not a word processor, but this functionality is built-in: select Find/Replace from the Edit menu and explore the options. Note that there are keyboard shortcuts for some of the actions - and of course this can all be scripted.

This topic is 1884 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.