Naming a pdf file for a FileMaker field

This topic is 7977 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script in FileMaker (4.1) that automatically prints a record to a pdf file. Adobe Acrobat automatically names this file "untitled" and puts it on the desktop. I use an AppleScript to rename it after a FileMaker field and move it to the appropriate folder. Is there anyway to script this so that the file is automatically named after a FileMaker field and put in a certain folder when it is first printed? I want to eliminate the "untitled"/desktop step because it causes problems when there are multiple users.

I use a shareware PDF writer "PrintToPDF" from http://www.jwwalker.com/

It has provision to automatically name files based on a "names folder"

From the PrintToPDF manual:

"...The 'Use Name Folder' option is intended for workflow automation solutions. If

this option is selected, PrintToPDF will look for a folder named 'PrintToPDF Output

File Name' in your Preferences folder. The name of the first file or folder within

that folder will serve as the name of the PDF file."

You could probably script the creation of a dummy file in the folder before you print naming it with applescript from a filemaker field before you print. This is kinda kludgy but will probably work.

Although I have not tried to script anything with Acrobat, it is listed as "scriptable" by Apple. Open the dictionary of this application and look around. I would imagine that you can name a file that is created via a script using Acrobat. Just set a variable to the value of your cell that has the file name desired. Then use this variable to set the file name.

Let us know if you have any luck. If you have problems, I could get my hands on Acrobat and see what I can come up with.

I would like to use a similar system to PDF all reports run within a solution and (archive) them through file references.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using PrintToPDF and Troi File Plug-in. That seems to be working well. I didn't check out Acrobat's scripting because I was having problems when using AppleScript. When a FileMaker script called an AppleScript, sometimes everything went well. Other times, the process got hung-up. It seemed that the Finder stayed active, FileMaker did not become active again, and the rest of the FileMaker script was not carried out. In fact, FileMaker became unavailable to any web user. I had to actually click on the FileMaker window to get things moving again. Any ideas as to why that would happen?

This topic is 7977 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.