Getting Record Count from related tables

This topic is 1865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to create a dashboard that shows how many open items per department.  I have a 3 tables, Orders (Parent Table), Assigned_to (a child table to orders), and a personnel table which lists the person's name and department

My Tables and Fields:

Orders Assigned_to Personnel
OrderNum_key OrdersNum_fkey Personnel_Key
Open_Date Personnel_fkey Name
Close_Date   Department#
Static 1    

Relationships:

• Orders::OrderNum_Key = Assigned_to::OrdersNum_Fkey
  • Assigned_To:Personnel_fkey = Personnel::Personnel_Key

Filter:

• Orders::Close_Date is empty (only want Open Orders)

How do I make a Summary Field or Calculation field that will filter on both, Close_Date is empty and Department# = 1 (or whichever department)?

In MS Access, I would have created a query with these tables and relationships. then filled in the criteria "Close date is null". Then use the "Total" feature and group by Department Number and Count function.  Is something like this possible in Filemaker?

Thanks.

In your Orders table create a numeric field (ie NotClosed) with an auto calc: if( IsEmpty( Close_Date ); 1; 0 )

Then create a summary field that counts NotClosed.

Edited by OlgerDiekstra

6 hours ago, Scott Pon said:

I'm trying to create a dashboard that shows how many open items per department. 

If you want to show all departments, you should have a table of departments. From the context of such table, each record could count how many of the related orders are still open by =

Count ( Orders::OrderID ) - Count ( Orders::Close_Date ) 

Note that due to the relationship between Orders and Personnel being many-to-many, the total of these counts may not match the actual count of the orders.

6 hours ago, Scott Pon said:

n MS Access, I would have created a query

Actually, you can do the same thing in Filemaker too, using the ExecuteSQL() function. But this can get slow if used in a "live" (unstored) calculation field, so if you prefer to go that way, you might script it and present the results on demand.

This topic is 1865 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.