Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mac or PC

This topic is 1871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey....

Currently running FMS15 on a dell optiplex from 2015. No real issues to speak of. I want to upgrade to FMS17. Was thinking of switching to a Mac Server, wanted to know your thoughts.

I do hit my server now from the outside and plan to use more heavily with images, uploading to my server into image containers, etc.

Why switch...for one, my shop is primarily graphics and Mac based and we are just better all around with Macs. I realize there are probably better hardware configurations getting a new PC.

Thanks!

Mike

My biggest issue with Mac Server is that its just software. Apple doesn't have proper server hardware. At least with PC hardware you have a choice to run Windows and FMS on a shitty piece of cheap hardware, or get proper hardware (ie dual PSU, NICs, built in RAID, 19" rack dimensions, etc) to run your server on for reliability.

If only FM would support Linux for the server (might be slowly coming?) then you'd have the option to run it on proper hardware without the Windows cost.

Depending on how critical your environment is, I'd probably go the Windows server route.

Thank you for your response.

I heavily considered both options, and have decided to go with a Mac.

- The Operating System is Certified by FM

- My IT guy is moving far away, and I would require support/install for PC based server, where as a Mac, we would not

- $1000 Mac mini vs. / $1600-2000 PC Server

- And if we consider its just data with maybe 5 users internally and occasionally a few customers logging in from time to time with a quick data update. I am confident we do not need all the bells and whistles "Windows Server 2016" offers.

I do appreciate your response.

Mike

This topic is 1871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.