Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ken_s2007

quick find

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced (16.0.5.500), macOS 10.13.6. I have a field (text, indexed, not global) that is searchable" (green) in Quick find. When I enter a Quick find in the form of subdomain.domain.com , I get 16 found records, but a particular record (in the form of server.subdomain.domain.com ) is not in the found set. When I do a (regular) search on the field of interest (using subdomain.domain.com ), I get 16 found records, but again, does not inlcude the particular record of interest, in the form of server.subdomain.domain.com. (Note: there is another field that contains some records with subdomain.domain.com , so that accounts part of the difference in found records).

When I enter a Quick find, or a regular find (in the field of interest), in the form of server.subdomain.domain.com , the record of interest is found. I've used copy and paste, so I'm not incorrectly typing information. 

Help reads: "If you type more than one word in the search box, FileMaker Pro searches for records that have all of the words you typed." but I'm not seeing that as a cause for server.subdomain.domain.com not working in Quick find. thanks

Edited by ken_s2007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

You are only entering one word, the dots don't appear to FileMaker as word separators.

Quick Find doesn't support wildcards, so you cannot type

*subdomain.domain.com

for example, which is a shame.

This article explains that the only operator you can use is the "" "" operator

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fperforming-a-quick-find.html%23wwconnect_header

So quick find probably won't help you here. You could create an auto-enter calculation field (text) and substitute '.' for ' ' from your other field, and then add that to the layout and make it available for Quick Find, but that is a bit of a cludge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd, but today when I enter into QuickFind in the form of: server.subdomain.domain.com , I get that result in the found set. (Note: only that one record is found; no other records ending in subdomain.domain.com or com are found (which is my desired result). The only change I made that I can think of was close and reopen the database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again

Last time you said you were entering subdomain.domain.com and the record with server.subdomain.domain.com was not being found. I explained that before.

Today you are searching for server.subdomain.domain.com (which FileMaker thinks is just one word) and it is finding it, because it exactly matches the word stored in your record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, rwoods said:

You could create an auto-enter calculation field (text) and substitute '.' for ' ' from your other field, and then add that to the layout...

Why use auto-enter (text) field instead of straight calculation?  The only reason you might wish to use an auto-enter text field would be if the User must make a change to it but since this is only searching, it wouldn't matter.  By making it a calculation, it would adjust if the User changes the field text.  Otherwise, with auto-enter, you would need to remember to specify REPLACE existing value.  Just a thought.

Also, I just tested this and unless I'm mistaken, you can place that calc off screen and it will still be searched by Quick Find.  That is kinda cool! 🙂

On 3/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, comment said:

Wow, I didn't know about this:

Quote
  • The character ` acts as a word separator on the Macintosh but not in Windows.

I'll need to add that to our word separator exceptions list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct; apologies for my testing error.


Nonetheless, after I believe I've removed all fields from QuickFind that could possibly matter, when I use the form of subdomain.domain.com in QuickFind , I nonetheless get multiple found records in the form of server.subdomain.domain.com -- just not the particular record of interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ken_s2007 said:

when I use the form of subdomain.domain.com in QuickFind , I nonetheless get multiple found records in the form of server.subdomain.domain.com -- just not the particular record of interest.

Could we have a specific example of what you searched for, what was found that shouldn't have been found, and what should have been found but wasn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.