Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot change Default font

Brandan

This topic is 1816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys

In layouts when I drag a field onto the layout it always uses the same font.  I cannot find a way to change the default font.  So at the moment every field I drag onto the layout I have to change its font size and resize the field box.  I have read through a few articles which don't seem to show the same for my Filemaker (V.17 Pro Adv).  i.e. Edit, preferences, no font tab.  Also, in layout don't select anything and then change the font attributes, but they are greyed out.

I've looked at themes and styles but cannot make sense of it if this is where I need to look.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

In Layout mode, hit ctrl-I or go to View > Inspectors > Inspector.

Click on either the Styles or Appearance button (the 2nd and 3rd icons at the top of the Inspector).

Select your field. Look at the Inspector, it will probably indicate you're using the Default style.

Make a change to the field's style or font.

Notice the triangle to the right of the field in the Inspector is now red, indicating you've overridden the saved style.

Click the triangle and save the style.

Notice the triangle to the right of the theme is now red. Click it to save the theme.

You have now changed the default for this theme in this file.

There's no built-in way to change this for all new files, but you can easily import your saved theme into a new file.

Hi Fitch,

I did as you kindly explained.  However, when I drag a new field onto the layout it is still the original Font and Size.  The Theme is set to the new one but Style shows as default.  I click on the arrow next to Default and I only get an option to save as new.

Maybe I didn't explain it well, but if you save a change to the Default style, and you save that change to the theme, that will change the default for fields added to the layout. I tested it and it works.

You want to change the default style. So save the change to the Default style.

Don't save it as a new style, and don't save it as a new theme.

Make sure the field is set as Default style. Change the font. Save Changes to Current Style.

Then Save Changes to Theme.

This topic is 1816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.