Create a search type lookup ....

This topic is 1799 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there

I have a list of building elements in a table each with a unique primary key against them. The table contains all kinds of info about each building element such as cost. The list contains item such windows, doors, painting etc and the idea is you select an element and the system gives you a cost.

At the moment I have this set up as a series of conditional drop downs so you select cladding, type of cladding, exact product so the selection is narrowed down as you go.

This isn't quite working however because the users can never find what they need. They have asked for search mechanism where the user types in the word or building element they are looking for and the system does a search in all the table fields and brings up that list. A lookup basically but it does a search and brings back the options related to that search in a lookup style approach.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as although probably isn't to complicated it is beyond my powers at the moment.

Many thanks

Peter 

Thanks for your reply but I find filemaker so frustrating. Your suggestion is not quite what I'm looking for.

I have a single form and single table and at the moment I have a simple lookup at the top which looks up building elements. Instead of just looking up on one field i want the user to be able to type in a word and it brings back a list of options with that word in just like a lookup.

So simple but I think I'm going to have to pay somebody to do this as I'm getting no where fast on these forums.

I am afraid it's not as simple as you may think. If you want users to see a a list of options, you must have an object to display these options for the user to select from. Filemaker does have a built-in auto-complete feature, but it won't work like you describe. You could use a portal, but IMHO it is easier to open a new window than to have a portal appear below a field and disappear after a selection has been made (although it can be done).

Hi Pedro.

What comment is saying is spot on.  You may be able to get the result you desire but you may have to change the type of UI you use.  You can search for "google type search filemaker" and you should come across many posts on the subject.  Also quick finds will search all your fields.  Perhaps this old thread can help you a little. 

This topic is 1799 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.