PDF viewing and storage

This topic is 1788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good morning.

I have a solution that generates a PDF from a series of tables, appending various pages to the report.
Sending it via email is fine, even saving it to a fixed file location, but I am experiencing difficulty in being able to save it in a container field so the user should be able to click on it and view this PDF on the screen.
How do I save this please? I don't get an error in the solution (or script debugger), it just doesn't appear in the field.

Any suggestions please? Many thanks in advance too. :)

Greg

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Getting the PDF file to save to a disk location hasn't been a problem ($fpath), but inserting it into a container field is eluding me. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Insert PDF command only allows a string to be entered - file path etc - not a [container] field to copy/move it to.

What am I missing please?

Greg

It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong when you don't show us exactly what you're doing.  If you're using Insert PDF, then you must make sure that:

• your file path begins with image, imagemac, imagewin, or imagelinux;
  • the target container field is the active layout object;
  • the selected instance of the container field is optimized for PDF.

For a scripted process like this, my preference would be to use Insert File, since it can work entirely at the data level. 

Hi Comment,

I never had a problem creating the PDF or where it went - that was all fine - yep, I use the correct file path.
Target field was the active layout object too.
What was not working was the actual Insert PDF command. Debugging gave me a File Missing (100) error on that step whether I used variables or fixed locations. I tried many combinations.

I tried an Insert File instead and it worked fine first time. Thanks for that idea.
I'm not sure why Insert PDF is not working, and I will follow this up later.

Thank you for helping me get it working. :)

Greg

Hi Iain,

Looks like you got cutoff, but yes, the Insert File worked whereas Insert PDF did not.
It's all happy now.

Thank you to everybody who helped me.

Greg

This topic is 1788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.