Job Tracking Idea

This topic is 1772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, hope someone can help.

I am a relative novice to Filemaker, so any assistance would be gratefully received.

I am trying to develop a simple database where you have a startup screen which would prompt the user to enter a unique 5 digit number. Either by pressing return or by a scripted button, the user would be taken to a different layout with a record that corresponds with the unique 5 digit number. 

Just don't seem to be getting past this first hurdle.

Again, many thanks for any response.

Alistair

I can put up a sample when I get back to the office in a few hours, but this is very basic stuff.  I'd recommend some training.  Only because this is going to lead to a whole bunch of other questions, which isn't a problem.  But I'm sure you would think it's best if you actually learn by doing rather than just getting the answers.

There is plenty of free training online, and paid as well.  For me, the best training I found was this:

https://www.databasepros.com/training.php

In the meantime, take a look at this.  Navigate over to Products, and play around.

U/N: admin

PW:  1234

InvoiceSM.fmp12

Edited by Steve Martino

1 hour ago, Alistair Bradshaw said:

prompt the user to enter a unique 5 digit number. Either by pressing return or by a scripted button, the user would be taken to a different layout with a record that corresponds with the unique 5 digit number. 

What exactly would be the purpose of this? It sounds like you're trying to write your own login routine instead of the built-in one. If so, I would strongly recommend against it. 

I must be reading it wrong.  Seems to me the OP is looking for a simple find/lookup/GTRR for a job, based on the job number.

OP, can you clarify?

Edited by Steve Martino

Ah - i see,

I do this often when providing a field for user entry so that we scan a barcode on entry it performs a find in the appropriate table.

Its usually a global field once a global field is entered with value 12345 for example and there is a matching record via relationship you could just GTRR to that record OR - you could script a find to go to layout and enter find mode and use the value from global to the key field and then perform find. 

This topic is 1772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.