Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Go: Can't access my DB via Webdirect

This topic is 1758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Gents,

two problems:

1. I can't access my db file using FilemakerGo. Localhost works, Webdirect - doesn't. 

2. I can't either access my file via mobile browsers. PC browsers work, mobile - doesn't. Tested on my iPhone with Safari and Chrome.

Thanks for help.

image.thumb.png.4d94ca3c3b1032732511c63774edbc88.png

Not sure I follow #1: FM Go doesn't use a browser so how does webdirect come into play there?

Since PC browsers work: are those on the same network as your mobile devices?  Or are the mobile devices on their LTE network and not on Wifi (to the same network segment as the PCs).

Wim, thanks for the reply. 

Or are the mobile devices on their LTE network and not on Wifi (to the same network segment as the PCs).

iPhone is on LTE.

I need to get access to my DB using internet, but not intranet.

The proper ports are open on your firewall for and forwarded to your FMS machine?

how can I check this?

On 6/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, Wim Decorte said:

And you're accessing the solution with the external IP address or DNS name?

I don't have external IP address, so probably DNS is the answer 

You check by logging into your router to check the port forwarding, and log into your firewall to see if the ports are open.  Some routers are firewalls and it's all done from one place.  You also need to check the software firewall in the OS of your FMS machine.

14 minutes ago, stan111 said:

I don't have external IP address, so probably DNS is the answer 

The question was about you connect right now.  What did you enter as the host to connect to?

Wim, 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, Wim Decorte said:

The question was about you connect right now.  What did you enter as the host to connect to?

I entered http://<host-ip>/fmi/webd

• 2 weeks later...

That's the internal IP address, that wouldn't work from the outside.  For outside access you need the IP address as assigned to you by your ISP.  If you use that IP address you'll hit your modem/router and that one needs to then forward the traffic to your internal IP.

Wim, the problem is in setting up my router. I am trying to create port forwarding to 5003 and to my computer IP as described in this manual: https://support.filemaker.com/s/answerview?language=en_US&anum=7840

The problem is that router web interface doesn't accept my computer IP. It says that only 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 range is applicable. But my machine's IP is out of the above range! Maybe, that's because my I am not connected to adsl modem directly, but via wi fi router? The map is: D-Link ADSL modem---WiFi router---MacBook.

image.thumb.png.2e5f4fc17f65f021976dec05201aa34a.png

Edited by stan111

Your internal IP address cannot be outside that range because 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254 *is* the whole range that your router can manage.  From what you've obscured it looks like the address should be 192.168.1.7?

Double-check your FMS: does it get its internal IP address through DHCP?  Or did you assign it statically?

1. Both my Macbook and iPhone have IP out of 192.168.1.XX range, I am 110% sure. The obscured is not 192.168.1.7

2. Is it possible that I have a static IP? I checked my IP after switching off my internet, it gave me the same IP as before. (used for it www.myip.com)

16 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Double-check your FMS: does it get its internal IP address through DHCP?  Or did you assign it statically?

Well, I don't know how to check this. For all I know is that I didn't assign IP manually.

Sounds like you two different routers on your network.  What are the first 3 number groups of your server's and macbook IP?

You don't need myip.com at this point, that's for telling your external ISP's IP address.  We're now working with the inside network.

6 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Sounds like you two different routers

I do. 

7 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

What are the first 3 number groups of your server's and macbook IP?

Since FMS is installed on my macbook, the figures are the same: 10.20.0.X

Since you have two routers, you'll need to figure out if the first one (the one physically connected to the internet) is forwarding everything to the second one already (bridge mode).  If you don't know, then it is time to get a network guy to your office and help you figure it out, using two routers is not uncommon but it is not for the faint-of-heart either and mistakes in the setup can expose a lot more of your network than you intend to.

It looks like your 2nd router is dishing out the DHCP IP addresses.  Make sure it has a range set to exclude from that for static IP addresses and assign your MacBook a static IP from the excluded range.  That will make sure that your MacBook does not change IP addresses (which would break the forwarding).

Can't really answer the question on the port forwarding until we know how both routers are configured in relation with each other.  But assuming that everything hits the 2nd router then you need to log into that router's config and set up the port forwarding there,

You are probably right: I am connected directly to my Mikrotik wifi router, and my Mikrotik is connected to ADSL modem via cable, and ADSL is connected to internet via cable. So I have to set up port forwarding at Mikrotik, not at ADSL modem.

This topic is 1758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.