"Export Field Contents" Stopped working after changing to External Storage.

This topic is 1700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello again everyone 🙂

We have a big database that keeps track of several records that people scan and attach files to.  Example, a court case and people scan in a police report, or drug tests, etc......    That database is setup to simple click on a button and it will export that data by using the "Export Field Contents" command on a button.  It has been working fine for years..............   But the database file has gotten bigger, and BIGGER throughout the past 10 years!!!  So they asked me to find a way to export our data, pdf's, pictures, etc.. outside the database.    Which I did 🙂 .   

But now when I click on the button to export the data, NOTHING happens 😞 .  I am not sure what has changed or is missing.   Our screen still shows that the data is there, but the export port buttin isn't working.  I have added new data to a field by importing a pdf, and it right away allows me to export it.   So only old data isn't exporting.  You guys/gals have any ideas?? I will attach some pics.

Below our pictures to help describe and show you what changes have been made.  I am clueless as to how the old attachments files aren't popping up to be exported when I click on the export file button.    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is a picture of the simple "Export File" button.

2014851943_ScreenShot2019-08-22at1_16_56PM.png.b82b337c630da0c2d48d11406072915b.png

It simply runs this script.2002326768_ScreenShot2019-08-22at1_18_28PM.png.45b10256e16da4b4d0549c95368fd75d.png

And if you click on CIE::Record_1 it simply shows what is below.

227684602_ScreenShot2019-08-22at1_21_09PM.thumb.png.00513b7b050b68be57118bb2ce9a19c7.png227684602_ScreenShot2019-08-22at1_21_09PM.thumb.png.00513b7b050b68be57118bb2ce9a19c7.png

And below is what "Record_1" is now.  I changed it so that the data is storseparatelyaly from the actuall database, which is awesome and has shrunk it, but does no good if we can't retrieve the data.

1815855431_ScreenShot2019-08-22at1_23_03PM.thumb.png.34066a1649935b7dbd4f07c4ad19ccd5.png

If I had to guess (and with the most important piece of the story missing, guessing is all I can do), I would say that nothing exports because nothing is there.

You say that the "screen still shows that the data is there". I am not sure what that means. What does:

GetContainerAttribute ( CIE::Record_1 ; "general" )

return?

28 minutes ago, 1FilemakerMan said:

So they asked me to find a way to export our data, pdf's, pictures, etc.. outside the database.    Which I did 🙂 .   

Well, are you sure you did this correctly?
https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Ftransferring-container-data.html%23ww1065805

--
P.S. Please update your profile to reflect your version and OS.

Edited by comment

21 minutes ago, comment said:

If I had to guess (and with the most important piece of the story missing, guessing is all I can do), I would say that nothing exports because nothing is there.

You say that the "screen still shows that the data is there". I am not sure what that means. What does:

GetContainerAttribute ( CIE::Record_1 ; "general" )

return?

Well, are you sure you did this correctly?
https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Ftransferring-container-data.html%23ww1065805

--
P.S. Please update your profile to reflect your version and OS.

Yes, I am sure that I did this correctly, as far as the data coming out of the database and being stored separately.   I am not sure what you are trying to get from the getconainerattribute command? I am still new to filemaker, so I looked that command up.  It looks like that is used to return text number, time date, etc....   I need to return actual files that have be put into these records, pdf's and stuff.

I am sure that the database can still see this files, because it also displays them in the media windows, which are in the first picture I put up there.  I am not sure why it sees the external data, but doesn't want to export them.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, 1FilemakerMan said:

I am not sure what you are trying to get from the getconainerattribute command?

I am trying to diagnose the problem before suggesting a solution. I know this is not very common practice in the Filemaker community, but that is how I prefer it.

• Like 1

Ok well thanks.  I am still very new to FM, and I love it, it's just so frustrating cleaning up other peoples databases!! As I am sure you know.   THey should of set this database up to save the attached documents and pictures outside of it from the beginning.

So get this,,,,,,,,   

I remote into the FileMaker server and through the Admin Console shutdown the databases.  I then start up FileMaker Pro from the server, load the program, and I can export the data without any problems!  This is driving me nuts!!!!!    Something happens when I connect to the database remotely that doesn't allow me to access those files.

It looks like you don't have access to the external location from the clients. I haven't worked much with external storage on FM, but assume the FileMaker client retrieves the external location where the files are stored and then tries to access it itself.

This topic is 1700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.