Copy multiple records between tables

Greg58

This topic is 1661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a TODO list.  Some tasks I want to put off until tomorrow, but have them re-appear on my TODO List the following day.  I have two tables; TODAY, and TOMORROW.  I can get the individual records to go to the TOMORROW table ok by just using a button and script.  This operates on only one task at a time.

I am having problems getting the records in the TOMORROW table to automatically come back to the TODAY table the following day.  I date the records going to the TOMORROW table and have tried to use this as a criteria to send them back to the TODAY table.  One problem is that there are often numerous records and not just the one that need to be sent back.  I have tried a script trigger on the file so that when the file is opened, the records in TOMORROW are sent to TODAY.  The problem is that there are numerous records.

Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks.

I am afraid I could not follow your description. This part caught my eye:

1 hour ago, Greg58 said:

I have two tables; TODAY, and TOMORROW. 

Why? Why not put all tasks in the same table, with a date field? Then just show the records for today (or tomorrow) by finding them, or by making them related, or by filtering a portal. And to reschedule a task, just change its date (you can do this in bulk using the Replace Field Contents command/script step, or by a looping script).

Hi Greg!

Comment is correct - no surprise there - that the records should all be in a single table.  And since, if a task is not complete, you want it to 'move forward' ... why not have a COMPLETED button and anything not completed and less than or equal to today would be found daily when you sign in.  You can then reassign their dates as you wish according to Comment's suggestions. 🙂

I should also mention that the COMPLETED can simply be a dateCompleted if you need to track when you complete a task.  It doesn't need to be a boolean 1.  The point is, a person will need to decide when a task is complete.  Anything NOT complete should automatically be considered to have 'moved forward' without changing its due date at all.

Thanks for the advice; it makes sense what you are saying.  I am trying to mimic an app my daughter has which presents her with a list of tasks for the day.  She has overwhelming lists, and can put some less pressing ones off until tomorrow.  The ones she puts off until tomorrow, re-appear the next day and the process starts again.

This topic is 1661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.