Remembering the front-most tab

This topic is 1652 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I have a problem similar to the one discussed in this thread.

It was suggested that the active tab could be captured using a normal script step with a script trigger on exiting the layout, but I can't find the proper script step.

I messed around with OnPanelSwitch and GetLayoutObjectAttribute, but whatever I tried, didn't work. At least, going back to the proper tab with Go to Object is easy.

Thanks for any help,

Edited by stefangs

57 minutes ago, stefangs said:

messed around with OnPanelSwitch and GetLayoutObjectAttribute,

OnPanelSwitch is relevant,  GetLayoutObjectAttribute is not. Simply make the triggered script remember the target panel using the Get ( TriggerTargetPanel ) function.

Of course, all this can be avoided if you open a new window, do whatever you need to do, then close the window to return to your previous state intact.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Now you have my curiosity. How would the user not know? Do you mean by setting the window coordinates so that both windows align on top of one another?

Also, the user will be presented with yet another window that has tabs, so this process may end up opening a lot of windows.

18 minutes ago, stefangs said:

Do you mean by setting the window coordinates so that both windows align on top of one another?

Yes. That is the default. This is assuming that the user needs to interact with the other layout. Otherwise you can have your script freeze the window, open a new one (either on top or off-screen), do its thing and return - and the user will not notice anything (at least not on a Mac).

Interesting! I suppose then there are ways to prevent the user from moving or resizing the window, otherwise this trick would break. Why would you want to open a new window off-screen? You can't interact with that, can you?

This topic is 1652 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.