Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Default Active Tab

This topic is 4776 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On a given layout we have a tab tool with six or so tabs. Operators will often flip to a different layout (script driven navigation)and then come back to the original layout with the tab tool. Each time they return to the original layout the tab tool resets itself to the default tab.

Is there a way to make the tab tool recall where it was left and stay there? Maybe setting a global variable by script somehow?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Please update your profile to reflect your Platform, OS, and the Version of FileMaker you are using.

As Barbara pointed out, sometimes the best solution will not apply to your setup, but we have no way of knowing that without knowing this Profile information.

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

This looks great -- But how can this work per record... When you add a record to this example, the tab structure is not independent with the prvious record... Meaning if you select tab1 on record 1 and select tab 2 on record 2, and then go back to record 1 the tab shows record 2. Can this be stopped?

It is possible to remember the tab on a per-record basis, but it will quickly become very complex and probably will not scale well: ie, imagine the amount of data needed to store a table with millions of records that the users scrolls through. The time required to store and retrieve the tab values would probably cause a lag and be noticeable as a general lack of responsiveness in the database.

In my experience it is logical for users to return to a layout as they left it. To scroll between records and have the tab change automatically would be unexpected.

Well, I don't know about that. I think I can imagine situations where this could be quite useful. And I doubt users will scroll through millions of records (in form view!) during the course of a session - after which the memory can be erased, IMHO.

However, there is another problem regarding when to store the tab state, since Filemaker does not provide a OnRecordExit trigger. I believe this can be worked out - but it really requires working with tweezers and a magnifying glass...

Incidentally, I am puzzled what's the point of using a custom function when a script needs to run anyway.

You ned to run a script when leaving a layout (to remember the active tab) and another when entering a layout (to restore the previously active tab).

This topic is 4776 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.