Server Maintenance This Week. ×

best approach

This topic is 1643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi all, 

I was tasked to great a database so the sales team can take order while on the road, these ipad will be connected to the net at all time either with WiFi or Cell service. I am thinking of the following;

Server

1 - ERP will place a csv file in an FTP location, and server will import ever hour

iPad (where i am having issues on what to do)

2 - iPad will download or update the database via a button at will

Now i need to have the iPad or server place an csv file with the order on the the ftp server to i can have the ERP import the order.

To place the order i was thinking of using Filemaker GO place the file either on Dropbox or using an ftp (but cant find an FTP Plugin that works with FM GO

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rudy  

Edited by rudym88

I would create an FM Go app that can work offline and syncs with FMS, so that you don't have to rely on connectivity. After all, you can never be sure you get reception everywhere. Then create a manual sync whenever the salesperson has reception or when its convenient, and sync data back to the server (and pull new data).

The server can then take care of communication with the ERP system.

"To place the order i was thinking of using Filemaker GO place the file either on Dropbox or using an ftp (but cant find an email that works with FM GO "

That doesn't make sense. You don't need an email for either dropbox or ftp.

From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem that you appreciate that connecting to a hosted file via fmgo doesn’t require any downloads of data.

if you can rely on connectivity, then avoid sync. It’s not trivial. 

Csv imports are the only way to push/pull data from the erp system? No api?

20 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

I would create an FM Go app that can work offline and syncs with FMS, so that you don't have to rely on connectivity. After all, you can never be sure you get reception everywhere. Then create a manual sync whenever the salesperson has reception or when its convenient, and sync data back to the server (and pull new data).

The server can then take care of communication with the ERP system.

"To place the order i was thinking of using Filemaker GO place the file either on Dropbox or using an ftp (but cant find an email that works with FM GO "

That doesn't make sense. You don't need an email for either dropbox or ftp.

Sorry I meant to say ftp plug-in 

Yes, due to a number of factors connectivity is not reliable. I have no option but to work with sync.

This topic is 1643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.