Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server side plugin crashing FMSE (FileMaker Server Script Engine)

This topic is 1604 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Has anybody successfully managed to get v3 of the FM Books Online server side plugin working with FileMaker Server on macOS?

I have tried with FileMaker Server 16 and 17, testing with the server side demo file provided and with my sandbox and live QBO accounts.

What mostly happens is that I get the FileMaker error of 'The hosts capacity was exceeded', and the FMS logs show FMSE unexpectedly shutting down every time I attempt to use the plugin 'on server' with PSOS...

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Is the plugin server-safe?  Not all plugins are or sometimes just certain particular functions from a plugin.

Are you testing with their test data too?  In case there is something in the data that the plugin doesn't like, special characters?

Are your FMS16 and 17 two different machines?

Yep - it is the 'server edition' version of the plugin along with a demo file they provide that is designed to be hosted on server and use the plugin with PSOS scripts that they have set up for the demo file. I am using it to connect to the QuickBooks Online 'sandbox' company which has a set of data provided in it that is for testing purposes... Using the 'client side' version of the plugin with FMPA works without any issue with the same QBO account and data.

The two macOS FileMaker Servers I have tested with are two different machines.... One using Mojave and the other High Sierra... Plugin claims to be compatible with all the scenarios I've tested with.

I have now also tested with a Windows Server install of FMS 18 (also supported by plugin), and had errors with that as well...

To be honest, I'd rather just integrate directly with the QBO API rather than go through the plugin as it has a well formed and documented REST/JSON API by the looks of it, so would easily be handled without the plugin, which has a whole load of it's own functions and a bit of a learning curve in itself. However, I've been drafted in to work on a system that has already had significant investment in it using the plugin to do the QBO integration. However, it was for v2 of the plugin that does OAuth1.0 authentication with QBO which is being retired by QBO on 17th December, so will no longer work with QBO, and which from then will only support OAuth2.0, which v3 of the plugin supports, whereas v2 does not.

Hey ho....

Edited by Sky Willmott

Agreed; the API is well documented and once you've crafted the core scripts, FM handles it very well natively.  But I hear ya; if you have to pick up from where someone left off then you don't always have a choice.

• Like 1

It's looking like what we might actually do is abandon the Server side plugin and just use client-side as we know it works ok, and in reality it is only really one person in the Accounts dept that ever needs to trigger the sync to QBO.... Will mean reworking a lot of scripts so that they just do a 'Perform Script...' rather than 'Perform Script on Server...', but that will probably not be too difficult to do.

This topic is 1604 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.