Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Container Field non-Indexing Workaround

This topic is 1579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My Filemaker Pro 11 solution uses a layout that features 31 calculated container fields representing days of the month.
A "Case" calculation has 12 different scenarios to display each month-day container records 29px x 15px field as either "Red" or "Green".
My problem is long calculation time for the layout to refresh.  I did not realize that a container field cannot be indexed.  Also, the red and green object container fields used in the month-day calculation are global containers which cannot be indexed.  I struggle to find a solution to this problem.
Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reservations Test Layout Only.png

Edited by JH Howland
Clarify Discussion

It's difficult to understand what your question is about. You say that:

52 minutes ago, JH Howland said:

My problem is long calculation time for the layout to refresh.

I don't quite see how the time it takes to evaluate a calculation depends on the indexability of the calculation's result. 

Why don't you backup a step or two and explain what is the input to the calculation and what logic it employs. 

--
P.S. For situations like the one you describe, I prefer to use a repeating field of type Text that displays a large rectangle character . If necessary, the character can be colored through either conditional formatting or the TextColor() function.

Long calculation time means the time it takes to paint the screen layout because of the calculation time for 31 days to be completed.

See above insert to my original post.

I am not sure I understand your "repeating field" scenario.  Thirty-One day repeating field?

41 minutes ago, JH Howland said:

Long calculation time means the time it takes to paint the screen layout

These are two separate things.

See above insert to my original post.

I am afraid you overestimate my abilities. Can you explain in a few simple words what is the purpose of this calculation?

I am not sure I understand your "repeating field" scenario.  Thirty-One day repeating field?

Yes, a repeating field with 31 repetitions. That is if you want to show a box per day for a whole month. Your screenshot suggests that the display does not necessarily start with the 1st day of the month, so I am not sure why it needs to have 31 boxes.

Edited by comment

Each record line represents a request for a specific dockage slip reservation at the marina over a screen displayed period of 31 days maximum (Only 17 Days are shown).
The "Red" indicates the multiple day Arrival thru Departure dates a boat will be in the marina at that slip.
The "Green indicates the days that are available to assign the slip to additional reservation requests or daily transient boaters.

Why use container fields for displaying the different colored boxes? FMv11 already had conditional formatting did it not? You could simply use a 31-repeated (or 17 if thats the max displayed) field and set the color depending whether it falls within the booking dates.

Change the calculation the be 1 or 0 (true or false) whether the box falls within a booking range and apply conditional formatting based on the true/false state.

This topic is 1579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.