Will FMP 18 files be compatible with FMP 20 (sans-conversion)?

The current file format has been active since FMP12. Judging by previous versions and how often file compatibility gets broken, it seems we're due for a new file extension soon.

I'm at the point where I need to update a complex database that was created in FMP11. It's not an emergency so I'm debating wether it's worth waiting another 18 months or so until we get FileMaker 20 to convert it to .fmp20 directly. But if we know there won't be a new file extension, I'd start now in FMP18.

Do we have any intel on FileMaker 20 file compatibility?

Cheers!

No such file format change has been announced, and we know that version 19 will continue the fmp12 format. I don't see any advantage in waiting. Even if the format does eventually change, in the meantime you'll have access to slide panels, card windows, popovers, ExecuteSQL and so many other features implemented since version 11.

https://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro-advanced/version-comparison.html

I agree, there is zero gain in waiting.  In fact - depending on your OS of choice - FM requires specific OSes and that is only becoming more restrictive with FM only running on newer OSes. Delaying the upgrade may also mean being forced to upgrade OSes and potentially hardware (especially on the macOS side) if you are currently running that FM11 on old systems.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Late to the party here, but I’m guessing whatever version introduces a new file format will require files to be converted from .fmp12, anyway—just like you can’t convert a file directly from .fp5 to .fmp12; you have to convert to .fp7 first.

Edited by the Otter

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GAltanis
      Dear users,
      I have three tables for three relevant layouts. Each one has separate table and tables are related with only one field.
      The scope is to show on the 2nd and 3rd layout the records that related with the 1st one. Here are some screen shots with what I need to do. Actually, I need to have on the seconf layout ("Orders from suppliers") the related records from the first one ("Suppliers list")
      Thank you thank you
      Giorgos

• By epatrick
      I find it odd that FileMaker is so intuitive yet hides access to the file name of the data source during importing. It looks like the only way I have found based on posts on the forum is to import the Data Source file as a reference into a container field. That is an extra step that shouldn't have to be done since FileMaker sees the Source file name during multiple points in the import process. Here are three dialogs where it's seen during import. There has to be a way to use the input file name with some kind of Get Function.  Please help!

• By 34South
      I previously used ODBC Manager (32 bit)  to great success importing data directly from Filemaker Server to JMP. I recently upgraded to Catalina (MacOS 10.15.5) and knew that one of the casualties would be this ODBC utility. I downloaded the 64 bit ODBC manager from Actual Technologies and successfully installed it but get the following message when trying to open an FM database from within the ODBC interface in JMP:
      dlopen(/Library/ODBC/FileMaker ODBC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/fmodbc.so, 6): image not found
      I have navigated to Actual Technologies' web site believing I should download an ODBC driver but this comes at a hefty price tag, especially when converted to my local currency. Given the increasing costs of maintenance contracts and SSL certificates I had hoped to avoid further expenditure. Do I really need this and is there an alternative?
    • By droid
      I've been saving various files - mostly pdfs - in FM container fields, for years. A script triggered by clicking in the field allowed the field to be exported for viewing.
      Recently I upgraded to FM18, and now when I click in the field, I'm told "container fields cannot be exported"!
      Is there a new way that I should be doing this? Thanks.
    • By ggt667
      I can ping my PDF document server from Terminal, I can connect to the PDF document server from all browsers apart from Safari, my default web browser is FireFox, I also tried to change to Chromium and Opera as the default web browser. WebViewer has the same symptoms as Safari, server not found.
      $ ping -nc 1 document PING document (10.0.0.7): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 10.0.0.7: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.002 ms --- document ping statistics --- 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.002/0.002/0.002/0.000 ms FileMaker says ’Couldnot connect to the server.’

The issues is easily solved by creating a new MacOS X user, and log in to that user, however I would rather like to fix the current user not having to migrate all other application settings. Is there some dns cache specific to Web Viewer and Safari?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    daveinc 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.