Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Will FMP 18 files be compatible with FMP 20 (sans-conversion)?

This topic is 1437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The current file format has been active since FMP12. Judging by previous versions and how often file compatibility gets broken, it seems we're due for a new file extension soon.

I'm at the point where I need to update a complex database that was created in FMP11. It's not an emergency so I'm debating wether it's worth waiting another 18 months or so until we get FileMaker 20 to convert it to .fmp20 directly. But if we know there won't be a new file extension, I'd start now in FMP18.

Do we have any intel on FileMaker 20 file compatibility?

Cheers!

No such file format change has been announced, and we know that version 19 will continue the fmp12 format. I don't see any advantage in waiting. Even if the format does eventually change, in the meantime you'll have access to slide panels, card windows, popovers, ExecuteSQL and so many other features implemented since version 11.

https://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro-advanced/version-comparison.html

I agree, there is zero gain in waiting.  In fact - depending on your OS of choice - FM requires specific OSes and that is only becoming more restrictive with FM only running on newer OSes. Delaying the upgrade may also mean being forced to upgrade OSes and potentially hardware (especially on the macOS side) if you are currently running that FM11 on old systems.

• 4 months later...

Late to the party here, but I’m guessing whatever version introduces a new file format will require files to be converted from .fmp12, anyway—just like you can’t convert a file directly from .fp5 to .fmp12; you have to convert to .fp7 first.

Edited by the Otter

This topic is 1437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.