Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

SubstituteValues to clean email text of text blocks

This topic is 1690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

For some time I have been cleaning emails for filing in our filemaker database. 

For this, the users have added to a substitute field all text that they wanted removed from and email, separated by "//". 

Then I used @comment custom function https://www.briandunning.com/cf/851 to remove the text blocks from the email text. Somehow this stopped working in fm 18.

I tried to find out where it errors but to no avail. I was also thinking about putting each block of text into individual records and then creating an array from this or loop through the email using while but I am a little lost on how to do this. 

Would anyone be able to help please?

I see no difference between versions.

AFAICT, the problem is with the paragraph separators in your data. I don't have time to investigate this more thoroughly, but when I replaced them manually (see record #2 in the attached file), I got the expected result.

I would guess that you are pasting the data from an external source that uses the line feed character Char(10) as the paragraph separator, instead of carriage return Char(13).

SubstituteValues.fmp12

Edited by comment

This topic is 1690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.