Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Playing an mp4 file using an URL

DPaquin

This topic is 1498 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am looking for examples to get AVPLayer working within filemaker pro. All my video files are remotely stored. Those video files will never be stored within a container. I do have too many video files and they are way too big to be uploaded in filemaker.

I found FileMaker Pro now have AVPlayer and using a url is an option.

I thought that would be very easy and this is not the case. I am getting an error 3. 

I am looking for documentations and examples. Does any have a suggestion ?

Many thanks!

With regards!

AVPlayer.pdf

Thanks Comment,

That is sad!

Is there a way in FileMaker Pro to play video files located on a dedicated file server? Either by starting VLC or Quicktime?

I am browsing through the web and cannot find information on this. Everything I found today is about container field. Could the Container field contain the address where the file is located.

Something like "Volumes/Data/MP4videofile/mhd01001.mp4", not the video file. 

With regards!

A container field can store only a reference to a file. You can also use a calculation field with the result type set to Container and make sure that the calculation returns the path to the correct file.

Another option is to use a web viewer to play the file. Or, if you want to use a 3rd party player, you can use the Open URL script step or Perform AppleScript.

--
Do note that Filemaker filepaths are not the same as OS filepaths. You can see what a Filemaker filepath looks like by inserting a file into a container field (as reference only), then looking at the text contents of the field.

• 1 month later...

@comment  I'm having a similar issue trying to set up mp3s to play from a remote volume in FIlemaker.  The Web viewer is slow and I'm hoping for a work around.  I've tried setting up a calculation field with the url path and result type set to Container.  However on the layout, even though I've changed the filed to interactive audio, it only displays the text of the url.  Is there another way?  Thank you!  Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

@comment Thanks for getting back.  Yes, I've done that in the past when our mp3s were hosted on a local network volume.  But I believe that I can't insert an mp3 from a remote volume into a container field?  Is web viewer my only choice here?  

17 minutes ago, chikanyc said:

But I believe that I can't insert an mp3 from a remote volume into a container field? 

I don't know. I believe you can insert a file from anywhere on your network - IOW, you can use any of the paths specified here: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Fcreating-file-paths.html

Edited by comment

This topic is 1498 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.