How to perform finds in a layout comprised of summary parts?

RavingLuhn

This topic is 1417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to generate a report based on data in a table, but the issue I'm running into is that I don't necessarily want to see any detail records.

This is a table view of the data I want to report on:

l16C5Vm.png

I created a report layout with the fields in the appropriate parts:

eCeQ5OI.png

This is what the layout looks like in browse mode:

9bWS6HJ.png

Using summary fields in sub-summary parts will get me the results I need, but I run into issues when trying to narrow the found record set. If I remove my detail fields from the body, then they're not present on the layout to perform finds... so I feel like I'm kind of stuck and unsure where to proceed from here.

How can I modify my layout to be able to perform finds on department and even by person? It doesn't need to get any more detailed than per week.

Thanks!

In layout mode, put the fields you want on the Body part, and Ctrl-i to bring up the Inspector.

Here you have a couple of options:

1. If you just want to keep the fields from printing, select them and use the Hide when printing checkbox.

2. If you want to hide the fields in Browse mode, use the Hide object when option, with a formula of True -- and leave the Apply in Find mode checkbox empty.

If you're not wanting to even have a Body part, then forget all the above and just use a different layout for the Find.

Welcome to the forums.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fitch said:

2. If you want to hide the fields in Browse mode, use the Hide object when option, with a formula of True -- and leave the Apply in Find mode checkbox empty.

If I do this, the space that would have been occupied by the fields in the body is still there. That's behaving as expected, right?

It sounds like it may be better to have some global fields to specify find criteria, then jump to my grid layout to perform the find, then jump back to the report. How persistent are those found records? Do I need to add an 'exit layout' script to show all records?

Thanks!

I wasn't clear to me whether you wanted the Body part to display or not. It sounds like maybe you don't.

Yes, you could use globals and scripting. It wouldn't be necessary to switch layouts if you did that, as the Perform Find script step doesn't require the fields to be on the layout.

Another option would be to use layout script triggers so that when you went into Find mode, it would switch layouts, and then when the Find completes, it switches back.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, Fitch said:

...It wouldn't be necessary to switch layouts if you did that, as the Perform Find script step doesn't require the fields to be on the layout

Got it! Thanks! I'm still learning how to apply database mentality to my design approach and tend to forget about capabilities like this.

Edited by RavingLuhn
Clarity

This topic is 1417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.