Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problem with Excel file formats

This topic is 1459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone,

I need to do the importing into filemaker, but getting an error with the filetype.

Files are of .xls type.

Is there any method to import this kind of files without any error ?

Thank you for your reply. 

Filemaker stopped importing from Excel 95-2004 Workbook (.xls) format back in version 12. I don't know of a way to import such files directly in current versions, without converting them first in another application (or perhaps with the help of a plugin?).

Edited by comment

I tried to change the file format using filemaker by creating a container field and setting the field as the old .xls file and exporting it as .xslx file but getting error as shown below.

Please help me in making this correct.

erroe.JPG

Filemaker is not a file conversion utility. You need to do the conversion in another application. Or through an API, if one exists. If it does, you could possibly automate the process from within Filemaker, using the Insert from URL script step.

You can't simply rename the extension to make it work.  An .xls file is not the same as a .xlsx file.  If you somewhat proficient with the OS-level scripting tools like VBscript or PowerShell (on Windows) or AppleScript on macOS, you can ask Excel to open the .xls and re-save under the modern format.  The syntax for these OS-level scripts and their execution can all be done from inside FM.

This topic is 1459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.