Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Re-login in FM18

This topic is 1440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I recently purchased FM18, upgrading from 16. I find myself bemused by the "new" requirement to login again to a database, after a period of inactivity.

Is there a way to adjust the inactive interval, make it shorter or longer?

That dialog that flashes by in about 0.1 seconds when the last re-login is completed, what does it say?

Thanks! 

Sorry: Single user, Mac. If you can direct me to the appropriate FM Help resource page, I would be grateful.

Arggh! I meant to ask: "That dialog that flashes by in about 0.1 seconds when the last re-login is CANCELLED, what does it say?"

•  
Edited by droid
Accuracy

Yeah, I had the same thought as I was submitting my question.

What about the inactive interval, that determines when the re-login is necessary? Is it changeable?

Edited by droid
Clarity

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/index.html#page/FMP_Help%2Fmanaging-extended-privileges.html

look for the parts about the 'fmreauthenticate' extended privilege.

If your file was hosted then there is another setting that can be in play where the server will disconnect idle clients after a certain period of inactivity, but since yours is a local file then that is not a factor here.

BTW, about that flashing-by-too-fast dialog, that happens after I cancel the re-login: I have yet to be able to capture it by taking a screen video, but I have managed to discern that it starts with "Cannot reconnect".

It happens when I am cancelling login to two FM files, one of which has opened the other. I have decided that is just telling me that file A cannot reconnect to file B, so I'm no longer concerned.

The other thing that this could be is that your network connection drops; when it does FM will try and reconnect automatically but it may fail.  Check your sleep and power settings to make sure that it doesn't cut out after a a certain amount of inactivity.

This topic is 1440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.