Hosted Files on Server 18 not Opening

This topic is 1413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On a clean install of Filemaker server 18 on a windows box running W10 Enterprise edition. 

The hosted files shows "Opening" from the Admin console, and that is how far it can go. The files never get opened.

Have done couple of restarts but same problem. 

Have tried both encrypted and non encrypted files, same problem.

Any advice on what might be the cause?1164249364_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.de7b88f9f526b615c403e8ce1b50c9dd.png410335645_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.8b5beb4f7564f3fe63afb3bd5f3977c2.png

4 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Not supported; so expect any kind of issues.

Following your reply, I spun up Windows server 2016 Datacenter on VM.
The whole installation went smooth without any issues.
However, I am still getting the same issue. I don't know what I am missing.
I had restarted the server twice, but to no avail.

shot.thumb.png.a78d66353ad4b3f8f6de583d979fe65d.png

Edited by Agentshevy

The FMS event log (also echoed into the Windows application event log) should tell you the reason why it doesn't want to open.

The screenshot shows a red icon meaning that FMS is still verifying the files, at the end it should turn blue for hosted or gray for closed.

You may also want to confirm from the command line by issuing this command:

fmsadmin list files -s

and verify that both interface show the files as closed.  If the CLI shows differently then log out the browser admin console and issue:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

How much processor and memory resources did you assign this VM?

At the moment, the VM has 2 processors, 4 Cores, 8GB RAM
The icon goes from Red to Grey. I will check through with the instructions you posted and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply

Edited by Agentshevy

29 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

The FMS event log (also echoed into the Windows application event log) should tell you the reason why it doesn't want to open.

Here is the output of the event log fileShot3.thumb.png.f8185efcbaabcdc6116e9cbdb5c14408.png

Here is the output of the command line

Shot2.thumb.png.fa3a17eef161c38baa4a4e644abfd6e3.png

What we'd be looking for is the output of the event log after you tried to manually open the two files.  Either from the CLI (fmsadmin open) or from the console.

Also: you may want to turn of data restoration, it's been known to harm files.  On an FMS18 installation it is on by default, on FMS19 it is off by default.

1 hour ago, Wim Decorte said:

What we'd be looking for is the output of the event log after you tried to manually open the two files.  Either from the CLI (fmsadmin open) or from the console.

Also: you may want to turn of data restoration, it's been known to harm files.  On an FMS18 installation it is on by default, on FMS19 it is off by default.

I do get errors each time I try to open the files from the command line.

Shot4.thumb.png.6080f6b825d7ae896950725f07bbf2c9.png

At first I was able to get event log from the console. But after turning Off data restoration, I am not able to get event logs

Shot5.thumb.png.e635b05d939140f4c64a7e8edb327120.png

Use the windows event viewer, or open the event.log file directly from the FMS logs folder.

something clearly is off with the installation. Is this on a pristine windows or is there other things running?

10 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Use the windows event viewer, or open the event.log file directly from the FMS logs folder.

something clearly is off with the installation. Is this on a pristine windows or is there other things running?

There is nothing else on the server, newly installed on vmware.
Only filemaker server has been installed.

Have gone through the event log file, couldn't find anything new.

Event.log

Something is clearly off somewhere in there...

This is in the log:

2020-06-06 16:57:13.714 +0100    Error    701    CTU24    Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally.

That shouldn't happen on new machine with no load on it.  Same with the error you get with the simple command lines.

You could try and install the 18v4 updater to see if it will rectify things.  Or download the full v4 installer, remove v3 completely (including renaming the leftover 'filemaker server' folder in 'program files').

2 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Something is clearly off somewhere in there...

This is in the log:

2020-06-06 16:57:13.714 +0100    Error    701    CTU24    Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally.

That shouldn't happen on new machine with no load on it.  Same with the error you get with the simple command lines.

You could try and install the 18v4 updater to see if it will rectify things.  Or download the full v4 installer, remove v3 completely (including renaming the leftover 'filemaker server' folder in 'program files').

I did uninstall 18v3 and renamed the letover folder as filemaker_old

Downloaded and installed 18v4
I used default settings all through (No changes made to the settings)
The only change made was to turn Restoration OFF using the command line..

I cant get the default Sample file to open. Same issue

Event.log

Not much more that I can contribute without getting my hands on the machine and poke around.  Feels like there is something very non-standard about the machine and/or Windows.   Something clearly is running interference.

Guest Priyabrata

I had the same issue during the weekend.
I was installing FMS 18 and 19 in Win 10 Machine and had the same issue.
After spending 8hours, i found this and it some what kind of helped me solved the issue and came up with below steps.

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D50H00007zAbahSAC/fms-setup-does-not-work-on-1th-june-2020-but-after-changing-date-to-2019

The process i followed.
I had to disable my internet.
Changed my system time back to some date back in May.
And then i installed FMS 18 and all the files opened fine.
And then after that i changed the time back to the current time and enabled the internet.
Restarted the computer everything worked fine.

Hope it helps ! :)

It turns out that the default certificate in CStore/LicenseFile/DefaultCert.fmcert is only valid through June 1 2020. Just import a valid license certificate and it fixes it. Hard to find since there are no errors reported in the event log.

I reported the issue, so hopefully it will get fixed in the next point update.

1 hour ago, Guest Priyabrata said:

I had the same issue during the weekend.
I was installing FMS 18 and 19 in Win 10 Machine and had the same issue.
After spending 8hours, i found this and it some what kind of helped me solved the issue and came up with below steps.

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D50H00007zAbahSAC/fms-setup-does-not-work-on-1th-june-2020-but-after-changing-date-to-2019

The process i followed.
I had to disable my internet.
Changed my system time back to some date back in May.
And then i installed FMS 18 and all the files opened fine.
And then after that i changed the time back to the current time and enabled the internet.
Restarted the computer everything worked fine.

Hope it helps ! :)

Wow!! and that does it.. Thanks buddy

1 hour ago, Mike Duncan said:

It turns out that the default certificate in CStore/LicenseFile/DefaultCert.fmcert is only valid through June 1 2020. Just import a valid license certificate and it fixes it. Hard to find since there are no errors reported in the event log.

I reported the issue, so hopefully it will get fixed in the next point update.

Thanks 

On 6/6/2020 at 10:46 PM, Wim Decorte said:

Not much more that I can contribute without getting my hands on the machine and poke around.  Feels like there is something very non-standard about the machine and/or Windows.   Something clearly is running interference.

Thanks for your support.. I am so grateful

This topic is 1413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.