Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Move Database from server to standalone AND preserve external container data links

This topic is 1384 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Sorry for the multiple posts, finally found where to indicate correct version forum.  

Need to move Database from FileMaker Server 17 to a stand alone computer and keep all the external container links.  I can easily copy the database to my computer.  I can copy the external container pdf files (300,000 of them) to the same stand alone computer, but that breaks all the files.  Now says missing<filename> in my field.  I have gone to the manage database and edited the path to point to the location where I copied the external files to and not working.  Same thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  - Mark

5 hours ago, Markh202 said:

I have gone to the manage database and edited the path to point to the location where I copied the external files to and not working.  

I am not sure how exactly you did that, but apparently you have not edited the path to the correct location. You can verify this by inserting one of the files from its new location into a container field (as reference only) and comparing the resulting path with the result of your edit.

Do this - create a file on your local computer add a container set it to be external storage add a random image. Now notice on your computer the a folder has been created that matches the name of the filename adjacent (in the same directory as the fmp12) 

You just have to have the same path and file names consistent if you copy a hosted version to local. 

Remote containers on server will contain more folder structure.

This topic is 1384 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.