Using a calculated field as a merge field

StevenJay

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello!

I previously posted this message at the bottom of a thread in "Define Fields", but it may be more appropriate in this forum. The respondents to my original post suggested that the best way to accomplish what I wanted to do was to upgrade to a newer version of FMP. I upgraded. (Although only to 5.0v3 for now). After upgrading, I was able to solve part of my problem. I am trying to print mailing labels from a relational database. It consists of two related files, "household" and "dancers". Each household record is related to one or more "dancer". I want to be able to print one mailing label for each household which lists all of the individuals related to that household. So I defined a value list in my "household" file to contain whatever is in the calculated "full_name" field of *related* records. Next I created a calculated field in "household" called "CommaSeparatedRelatedNames":

Substitute( ValueListItems( Status( CurrentFileName), "Names" ) , "

What version of FMP are you using. I experienced this very problem in version 5.0 but it disappeared in version 5.5. I haven't checked version 6.0. I guess because it was an undocumented kludge, it got and undocumented fix. wink.gif

Scott

Hi, Scott

Thanks for your reply. I am using 5.0v3. I just upgraded to this version from 4.1v3 in order to be able to define value lists based on the contents of related records. Now you think I have to upgrade even further in order to solve my original problem? Sheesh, sure hope it works!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Steven Nagy

If you don't absolutely require the names to be comma separated, but could tolerate a list on separate lines, it would be much easier to use a subsummary by household printed out of the dancer file using related addresses from household.

-bd

Thanks for your reply, bd. This probably would have been an option which would have been suitable for most records in the database, but for those households with 3 or more related individuals the result would have been too big for the mailing label. Fortunately, the way I was trying to do it (merge field based on calculated fields and value list) worked fine once I upgraded from FMP 5.0 to 5.5.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Steven Nagy

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.