Terminate Relationships

TBS

This topic is 7895 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have realtionships that I would like to teminate after a specified date. Once a certain date is trigerred I reference a local field and no longer need the Related File to be referenced. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance!

You could do that with a calculated key.

Just make the key change to "Invalid", or "Expired" or something else that it would never find a match to on the other side if the criteria is not met.

As long as there are no globals or other related fields in the calculation it can be indexed and a relationship can be created.

I think you will find that it will open the file regardless. Reason being is because it will always look for a match regardless.

My suggestion will only create a no match situation, but FileMaker will still need to open the file to determine this.

The only way to keep FileMaker from opening the file is to not reference, display, edit, calculate anything that refers to that relationship. Othewise, the file must open.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way to keep FileMaker from opening the file is to not reference, display, edit, calculate anything that refers to that relationship. Othewise, the file must open.

Quite true, however there may be a way...

The Case function is notable for the fact that it calculates only to the point where a valid result is returned, and any redundant syntax which follows is ignored. Therefore if the only reference within the file which uses the relationship is at the tail of a case function, viz:

Case(Status(CurrentDate) > RefDate + 9, LocalField, RelatedFile::RelatedField)

...then (in this example) the calc field will reference the related file until ten days have elapsed since RefDate, but after that, should ignore it entirely (and should not open it since it will not be referenced).

I've tried it out and it seems to work here with v5.5. Give it a try and see if it does what you want.

This topic is 7895 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.