Sign in to follow this  
BrianL

Suppress dotted field highlighting in browse mode?

I'm new to Filemaker. It's got great tools for creating a really elegant user graphical interface. But as soon as the user clicks into a field, all that's destroyed by these pesky dotted boxes around every field in the layout (apart from pop-up lists, strangely).

So my question: is there an easy way to suppress all this?

All fields that allow entery do that.

If you, in layout mode, use the "Field Format" contextual menu, and uncheck the "Allow entry" they will stop doing that. Mind you, you also won't be able to edit that field...

Yes, unfortunately there is nothing to be done about this. I think it is to distinguish modifiable fields with those that cannot be modified.

Ken

cool.gif

Hello Brian,

E-mail me your e-mail address and I will send you a sample file "AutoAddr.fp5". This file has a layout I created that helps with the field 'boundary' issue in FMP.

You can 'take it apart'. It is NOT locked. Look at the field size, font characteristics, etc.

You will need to 'UnZip' this file to open it.

Good Luck!

Bob Kundinger

cool.gif

The attachment link is broken. Can you give me the jist of it? Do you make the area around the fields that same colour as the grey highlight?

An extension of this technique is to turn off "Allow entry", but then define the fields as buttons with scripts with 'Go to Field [corrsponding field]' script steps attached. Makes the fields 'click to enter, but without the dotted border around all the other fields you're not currently editing.

It works, but you forfeit tab-through functionality, so it is something of a compromise...