Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation within calculation

This topic is 976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First of all, I hope this question is in the correct forum. I am a total beginner with Filemaker. I have an older version to try out (14 Advanced). I am trying to make a calculation for the following. Im creating a database, for now with 1000 records. Each record has a set of fields. Lets say field A is the name of the product, field B is the type of product it is (type 1,2,3.....), and field C is its value. So lets say I want to know the total value of each type of product...how do I make a field calculation to achieve this? Please be patient with me, I have just started using FM 2 days ago. A sample file for the calculation would be amazing. I learn faster by seeing. Thank you for your time.

You have two options:

1. Define a summary field as Total of the Value field. Produce a report using a layout of the Products table, and sort the records by the Type field. Place the summary field in a sub-summary by Type part (and, if you also want a grand total, in a grand summary part, too).

2. Add a ProductTypes table where each type will be a unique record and relate it to the Products table by matching on Type. On a layout of the ProductTypes table, place either the summary field from the Products table or define a calculation field in the ProductTypes table =

Sum ( Products::Value )

Note that these options are not identical: the former will summarize the found set in the Products table; the latter will sum all related records (separately for each record in ProductTypes), ignoring any found sets.

Edited by comment

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply. I managed to define the summary field. I produced the report and sorted by the Type field. But I got lost after that. How do you place a summary field in a sub-summary? I tried to find how and couldnt

This topic is 976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.