Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Losing picture from container field

mleiser

This topic is 1066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I added two container fields in my database. I put a picture in each and set it as global. Worked fine. Went to a second computer and opened the file and they're not there. Closed my file and reopened it and they're not there. I put them in originally with copy paste. Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks.

That is the expected behavior of global fields in a hosted solution. At the beginning of each session, global fields are initialized to the values they held the last time the file was opened locally. Any changes to these values last only for the duration of the session and are limited in scope to the user that makes them.

https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/global-fields.html?Highlight=global session

Thanks If that's the case, if I want to put a picture into every record in a file (same picture, like maby a logo), how would I go about doing it without losing it when I close the file on my network?

I believe the most common method is to keep a one-record Preferences table with 2 fields (or rather 2 sets of fields): a regular field and a global one. Then have your startup script populate the global fields with their regular counterparts. 

Alternatively, you could open the file locally, populate the global field, then host it again. But you would have to do this every time you want to change the logo (or any other preference). 

Can I do something like this. Put the picture in every record, not globally. That I know how to do. But how would I get it into a new record automatically like you can do with regular data? This is a container field. Thanks

This topic is 1066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.