Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What is a FileMaker Cloud “app”?

This topic is 703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I’m thinking about transitioning to FileMaker cloud, from our current dedicated server hosting setup. However, I’m a bit confused by the nomenclature. We have one FM database. FileMaker cloud refers to “apps”.  What are apps?

1 hour ago, mikedr said:

What are apps?

That's a good question. The term is certainly confusing when applied to Filemaker. I believe it was originally coined by Apple to distinguish mobile applications from desktop ones.

Filemaker help defines a custom app as:

In FileMaker Pro, custom app, solution, database, and file are all terms for what FileMaker Pro creates.

A custom app is a file or set of files containing database tables, layouts, scripts, and relationships, and the associated data that you enter and work with. [...] Each custom app solves one or more specific problems, such as tracking customers or invoices. 

Such definition is rather fluid:  one might consider a solution handling all aspects of their business -  e.g. accounting, CRM and manufacturing - as a single "app". Others might view this as three separate apps - esp. if there are separate files for each section.

If you are asking for pricing and/or legal purposes, you might want to get a more binding response from Claris sales representative.

This topic is 703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.