same table, same field, two layouts

This topic is 630 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My layout "Securities" is from TABLE: SECURITIES and uses FIELD: SOURCE / checkbox with 10 values. Second layout is also from TABLE: SECURITIES where I would like to have  only 2 of the values showing from FIELD: SOURCE (one or both may show check/yes). Tried to show example in image below (not using the 10 values). If I create another field on the second layout, how do I call the values from FIELD: SOURCE for that layout?

FIELD SOURCE.PNG

A field formatted as a checkbox set displays a checkbox for each value in the associated value list. If you want another instance of the same field to display another set of checkboxes, you need to associate that instance with another value list. The two instances can be on different layouts or on the same layout.

Note that checking/unchecking a checkbox affects only the value displayed alongside that checkbox. In your example, if the user has checked OPTION 1 and OPTION 4, then moved to the other layout, they will see only OPTION 1 being checked. If they uncheck it, the field will still contain the value of OPTION 4.

Is there another method to have only checkbox 1 and checkbox 2 results show on the second layout (first layout shows all)? And, allow for updating if checked/unchecked on layout 1?

I am not aware of another method. What is your objection to the method I suggested? It's quite simple: define a new value list that contains only OPTION 1 and OPTION 2 and format the 2nd instance of the field using the new value list.

Objective is to insure layout one field and layout two field match for those two values. For this particular situation, there are 2 of the 10 values but the database will be cloned for similar use where there maybe 9/10 to match. Sounded easy when I attempted this, obviously not so :(

2 minutes ago, Raizel said:

Objective is to insure layout one field and layout two field match for those two values.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that. There is only one field. It can be displayed in different ways, but its underlying content is always the same.

7 minutes ago, Raizel said:

the database will be cloned for similar use where there maybe 9/10 to match.

As I said earlier, a field formatted as a checkbox set displays a checkbox for each value in the associated value list. The definition of a value list is part of the file's schema. If you clone the file, the schema will not change. If you want the clone to display a different set of checkboxes, you must modify the definition of the value list.

I found a workaround that may/may not work. On layout 2, I displayed the checkbox field as a dropdown list. It shows the 2 options that were selected but no idea what will happen if I increase to more than 2! And, the content of each option will need to be shortened.  Oh, I added the field to the layout portal (both layouts use same criteria) which is how both values display.

Think I may end up aborting.  Thanks

This topic is 630 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.