Server Maintenance This Week. ×

serving via cable ISP

Buzz

This topic is 8190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to test and do limited live demos serving dynamic pages using CDML. I'd like to know how to do this via a Cable ISP. Does anyone have experience with using their cable provider for limited testing for their web development?

I have @home hooked to a Cable/DSL router (Netgear 314) that connects to an Imac and a PC.

Thanks for any help.

There are usually three potential problems with this: 1) You need a static IP. A lot of cable providers are now only supporting DHCP. 2) Cable modem systems often limit the upload speed to 128KB/sec, even though download speed may be up to 1.5 MB/sec. 3) Many cable modem systems prohibit hosting in their contracts.

Even if you have a static IP, you will need to open the needed ports using NAT on your router.

-bd

Thanks, I believe that answers my questions. I knew about the speed limitations "uploading" but since I would be doing it for testing only, I didn't mind that.

My cable service uses dynamic IP's so I guess I'm not going to be able to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can test sites "live" using the network I have now?

quote:

Originally posted by Buzz:

I'd like to test and do limited live demos serving dynamic pages using CDML. I'd like to know how to do this via a Cable ISP. Does anyone have experience with using their cable provider for limited testing for their web development?

I have @home hooked to a Cable/DSL router (Netgear 314) that connects to an Imac and a PC.

Thanks for any help.

I have a set-up nearly identical to yours (substitute G4 for iMac and iBook for PC wink.gif" border="0 ) and have served databases via CDML -- for testing purposes only, of course -- without problems. I'm not a networking expert or anything, but as mentioned in another reply you may have to fiddle with your router's settings to allow access to the port on the serving computer.

This topic is 8190 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.