Server Maintenance This Week. ×

For some reason cannot print all "records being browsed" in table view

SteveWeinberg

This topic is 437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Filemaker 16 pro on the Mac - Ventura 13.0.1.  HP OfficeJet 9015e Printer

Long term Filemaker user. clearly used to be able to do this easily.

Regardless of the Layout, when in table view wanting to print our what's showing specifying all "records being browsed" in the print dialogue box, the app only prints out one record - the record in the table that happens to be selected.

This has never happened to me before.  "Records being browed" are all the records currently showing in the table view, right?

Is there something I'm missing?  Some setting that prevents Filemaker from pushing out all "records being browsed" in the table to the printer?

Known Issues

"macOS 13: When printing, the Current Record option is ignored; the Pages option is used instead."

Sure sounds like it's related to the problem I am having, but the exact reference is too vague.

I'm not talking about the "Current Record" option.  I'm talking about the other frequently used option, the "records being browsed" option.

and the exact meaning of "the Pages option is used instead" is unclear.  "The PAGES option" is not at all an option (does not exist) in the section of the print dialogue box that I'm referring to.

The Pages section of the print dialogue box allows you to chose between all pages or a specific page range.  When I tried using pages 1 to 1 instead of leaving it at the default of All Pages, and selecting "records being browsed" I got the same printout of the single record that happened to be selected in the Table at the time.

Hope I'm being clear.

I was excited to see that there was a known FileMaker printing issue in MacOS Ventura.  Is it possible that what I'm posting is another new issue just discovered?  Can I get Apple to name the new known issue after me?  😀

Such a great idea to try and print as a pdf.  Wish I'd thought of that myself.  But, alas, still the same result.  Only one record on the pdf.  We surely got us a bugler.  Feel better knowing that.

2022-12-13 35 Jeff preapplicants by last name.pdf

Oh, I'd be fine if the list was less than 1 page long.  I could just do a screen shot.  Hey!  Wait.  I can zoom out and make the list small enough to fit on one page.  Yes!  That does it.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Untitled 2.png

in Preview mode I see all of the records-being-browsed when in list view as above.  But when I try printing records-being-browsed from preview mode I get the same single record.

Are there any folks from Claris here who can duplicate this (or not!) on their own machines and let us know that it's a Ventura bug they are working on?

Any of you who are commenting (thanks so much) work from a Mac running Ventura and could try duplicating this?

9 minutes ago, SteveWeinberg said:

in Preview mode I see all of the records-being-browsed when in list view as above.

In your place I would try File > Print… > PDF > Save as PDF. It probably won't work either, but worth a try.

15 hours ago, SteveWeinberg said:

I could just do a screen shot.

A screen shot will have screen resolution which does not print very well. A better workaround would be to export the records to another application and print from there (this could be automated via AppleScript). Or use a single-record table with a global text field to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you help a bit more in how you determine which Theme is assigned to the layout?  This database was set up aeons ago.  And in List mode, you don't get too many options to mess with the layout...

Got it.  In form view once "edit layout" is selected it says up in the top right corner that the Theme view selected is - Classic - for my database layout.  And just to the right is an icon for a dropdown menu that lets you change the theme.

Thanks for the try.  I was excited to see success.  But, unfortunately, no change.  Same result.  Only printed one record when "Print all found records" selected in list view.

==============================================

Incidentally, when I duplicated the layout and changed the theme of the new layout to minimalist, it eliminated all my field fillings and really looked minimalist.

And when I went back to the original layout that I had copied, it said that the theme was still classic, but it, too, had been converted to look like the minimalist theme. ????

• 3 weeks later...

Comment, thanks - Sorry I've been distracted from all this helpful support here and have taken way too long to respond.

"same problem with a Brand new file created from scratch?"

Looks like the problem is solved!

I exported a bunch of the records into a new Filemaker file and printed out a list from Table view that successfully included all of the records.

The original file continues to refuse to do that, printing only one record.  I even made a copy of the original file again and that, too, only prints one record at a time from list view when instructed to print all records being browsed.

But the new Filemaker file I exported to, got all of the fields from the old file as instructed, but none of the layouts, scripts, saved finds, etc.  So it's really not a practical (read: easy) solution if I have to really rebuild all of the 94 layouts in this file, as well as the scripts and saved finds.

So if creating a copy of the original file brings with it the printing issue, and exporting the records into a new file brings the data over, but none of the layout formatting, scripts, saved finds, etc. do I have any other options?

All this was done in Filemaker 16 on my 2022 M1 MacBook Pro using the latest version of the MacOS Ventura 13.1

BTW - I just noticed that the theme of the single layout of the newly crated File that succeeded in printing out all of its records in list view was not Classic.  It was Enlightened.

I see that "Classic" is not one of the available themes, but it does offer the option of importing themes.  Am I courting disaster by importing the Classic theme from the source file that is the source of my problem?

6 hours ago, SteveWeinberg said:

So if creating a copy of the original file brings with it the printing issue, and exporting the records into a new file brings the data over, but none of the layout formatting, scripts, saved finds, etc. do I have any other options?

Again, in the category of "I don't know, but it might be worth a try":

1. Make a copy of your file;
  2. Remove all traces of the Classic theme;
  3. Save a copy as clone;
  4. Perform a recovery on the clone;
  5. Import your data.

6 hours ago, SteveWeinberg said:

Am I courting disaster by importing the Classic theme from the source file that is the source of my problem?

IMHO, yes. If you do a search around the web, you'll find reports of numerous problems linked to the Classic theme. Yours is just the latest one (assuming it is indeed linked to the theme and not caused by some other factor).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

This work around will allow you to print all FileMaker Pro Records being browsed in OSX Ventura:

Go to File > Save/Send Records As > PDF >

In the new window, select "Records being browsed" and save.

The saved PDF file will print all records properly.

Cheers!

This topic is 437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.