Summary in a calculation

This topic is 432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all.   

I have an attendance table that holds a few calculation fields based on on a stipend program for firefighters. For each attendance record it calculates the stipend payout for that particular record.   Then I have a summary field in the attendance table that gathers all the records and adds them for each firefighter on a new layout.  There is one piece I can't figure out how to make work.   If the firefighter is an "Officer" they are given a set value (from a personnel record table) added to the stipend.   I cannot get a calculation to work adding those two values together.   

Here is what i have been trying to manipulate to make it work.   I'm guessing i'm doing things totally wrong.   I just get a "0" 

GetSummary ( TotalIndividualStipenedCreditPayout ; kf_personnel ) + StipendPayoutforOfficers

Any ideas how I can accomplish this?  Do I need to create a field in the personnel record to temporarily store the stipend payout summary as a non summary number field?   Then I guess I would use a looping script to get that value set and then create a calculation field in the personnel record to add the two together now that it's not a summary anymore?  

Thanks

Chris

It's not clear what is your final goal. If you want to summarize the Attendance table using a report layout of the Attendance table, then you need to add the related amount from the personnel record to the subtotal - something like:

GetSummary ( TotalIndividualStipenedCreditPayout ; kf_personnel ) + Personnel::StipendPayoutforOfficers

OTOH, if you want to view this using a layout of the Personnel table, then you cannot use the summary field - you need to sum the related amounts using the Sum() function and add the additional amount from the local field.

Thank you Comment.   

Sorry I forgot to include that info.   Yes. the layout that this will be viewed on is using the Attendance Table.  I'll what you described above and see what happens.  I thought I did that already but I tried so many things that I might have not done that.   

Thanks

Chris

Hi. i just checked and I was wrong in my first description of how it is structured.   

GetSummary ( TotalIndividualStipenedCreditPayout ; kf_personnel ) + StipendPayoutforOfficers

TotalIndividualStipendCreditPayout - That is a summary field in the attendance table. 

StipendPayoutforOfficers - That is a calculation field in the attendance table. 

The calculation is this: Personnel Records::StipendOfficerCredits * PerCreditCalc  (PerCreditCalc lives in the attendance table)

PerCreditCalc is a variable number depending on a set budget devided by the total number of credits earned by the membership. (That part works fine).  

Given these new details, I am still trying to add the "Summary" of TotalIndividualStipenedCreditPayout to the StipendPayoutforOfficers 

I hope this is enough info to try and help diagnose.  

Thanks! 

Chris

Edited by CKonash

I would approach this differently. I would create stipend and stipend lines is a scripted process. Perhaps mark attendance records to be added (approved?) for a stipend. If the user is an officer,  an additional stipend line is created. Once added to a stipend, the attendance record is no longer available to be marked. I’d set the stipendId in the attendance line. 

the benefit is that you now have a stipend record. Where you can track status, date paid, print a statement, etc. 

This topic is 432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.