Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is FileMaker a viable development platform anymore?

Jeff M

This topic is 436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to develop relatively basic, database-driven solutions for small business. With the built in ability to create runtime solutions, FileMaker Developer/Advanced used to be a great place to do this. I learned FileMaker years ago and have enough of a foundation to create useful tools, but I'm curious how the recent versions of FileMaker have made it a better or worse place to focus my small business solution efforts. From what I can tell, my only realistic audience these days would be companies already invested in the FileMaker platform. Is there a route to use FileMaker to develop solutions that I could eventually distribute to Mac, Windows or Mobile users? More importantly, I'm curious to know if you think there's a an audience out there looking for FileMaker based solutions?

It greatly relates to the industry target that you plan to serve. 

You may consider another approach to this and build a SaaS model and build something multi-tenant web-based like with FMBetter Forms. Providing your users access and having FM the database backend

If you have a vertical market solution you could join the SBA program where you could purchase Claris licenses for distribution to customers.

It really depends on what your end user count is for each location/customer if it is only one individual then it might be better to go with a web solution or you may need to include licensing to customers.  5 users are $990 per year.

15 hours ago, Jeff M said:

Is there a route to use FileMaker to develop solutions that I could eventually distribute to Mac, Windows or Mobile users?

Currently, the only thing that's similar to a runtime is the FileMaker Go app that runs exclusively on iOS (iPad and iPhone). Claris has promised a similar solution for Android users, but so far hadn't delivered. So if you want users on any platform to be able to use your product, without having to purchase a Filemaker application, then indeed the only route that's currently available to you is to host it yourself.

However... You might want to wait a few months (?) to see what Claris is up to. They have announced there will be a freemium version of Claris Pro - reportedly restricted to a single user (so similar to a runtime?). 

15 hours ago, Jeff M said:

I'm curious to know if you think there's a an audience out there looking for FileMaker based solutions?

IMHO the "audience" does not care one bit what your solution is based upon (if they do, they are usually prejudiced against Filemaker and need convincing). They care if it can solve their particular problem. And these days web-based solutions are becoming the standard (if they haven't already). Still, I am not aware of any other tool that can create a working solution so quickly (and therefore inexpensively).

Edited by comment

This topic is 436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.