Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dwindling Value List: "Almost Working" and in need of troubleshooting.

dmontano

Hi all,

I have given this the old "college-try" and worked until I have exhausted all variations to get it to work. I would not post this here unless I exhausted my search for a solution.

I have attached a file that "should" open up to the "Paper Thickness" layout. I have reworked the file to try and explain with note labels what you are seeing and the troubles I am having. To me, it is bizarre. It kinda works and gives a weird unexpected result when creating a "first" record in the table. It is behaving as if there is no "internal" index of the "second field" display configuration on the Dwindling Value List I created - but only for the first record.

In addition, I can not create a first record using the Dwindling Value List - I have to use a normal Value List to get the first record created.

I believe it is very close to being solved, and once hopefully solved, I can add this technique to my novice toolbelt. I have a few layouts that can certainly use the "Dwindling Value List" benefit.

Any help is appreciated.

dwindling_value_list.fmp12

I think I have figured this out. It appears to be related to timing or sequence of events...?

I changed the calculation formula for the "multi-key" by adding this to the beginning of the calculation "0" & ¶ &. The full formula is now:

"0" & ¶ &

List ( paper_thickness__all::paper_thickness__material_thickness__id_fk )

I have no idea why this is working now. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, after some thinking…I'm posting what might be happening:

Maybe the reason is the relationship the value list is defined upon as a "not equals" relationship does not evaluate to anything because the multi-line key field is empty?

And by forcing a "0" into the field in the beginning gives Filemaker the chance to evaluate that "0" in fact DOES NOT equal any key id in the other table and therefore presents all available IDs.

I hope that makes sense: can anyone confirm this?

Edited by dmontano
Clarity

I won't go into debugging another ones take on what to do, but I would in a case like this ... which seems to be dwindling inside each contracts itemlines ... in other words preventing to use the samt item twice inside the one and same contract - look at the attachment!

Where in case the same resource, should be exhausted from other all other contracts ... :

New Window [ Style: Document ; Using layout: <Current Layout> ]

Show All Records (....this is more likely a search for parent records in the span of time)

Go to Related Record [ Show only related records ; Match found set ; From table: “GetTheID” ; Using layout: “Layout #4” (GetTheID) ]

Show Omitted Only

...here use exit script step to transfer the list of recordID's 

--sd

Untitled.fmp12

Edited by Søren Dyhr

Hi Comment,

Interesting thread read: thanks. I also went back in my field configuration for the multi-key and changed it to a calculation field versus an auto-enter calculation. It was 2 am and I can not recollect with any intellectual value "why" I did so, but it did seem to work as I hoped - so I have decided to "standardize", as best as possible, the way I will build dwindling value lists moving forward (that way if I discover a possible snafu, I can hopefully fix and replicate where all the Dwindling Value Lists have been used.

Hi Søren,

Thank you for the attachment and I have reviewed it. It accomplishes the dwindling functionality, but it uses constructs and tools in the filemaker environment that I am unfamiliar with (I'm still the novice) lol. This is good for me to see other ways in which to achieve this.

Thank you both!

I've been thinking a bit further here, why not use the summary function "List Of" ... and if you want, can you then make two GTRR's into found sets instead of this ... one of each:

# Make it happen in file dwindling2

Set Error Capture [ On ]

# Jumps into each of the rows of the portal

Go to Related Record [ Show only related records ; From table: “ChosenValue” ; Using layout: “ChosenValue” (ChosenValue) ; New window ]

# Now utilizing the Match found set option

Go to Related Record [ Show only related records ; Match found set ; From table: “GetTheID” ; Using layout: “Dwindler” (Dwindler) ]

If [ not Get(LastError) ]

Set Variable [ $taken ; Value: Dwindler::s_IDs_for_ValueBuild ]

Close Window [ Current Window ]

Set Field [ LIstUtilizer::_SelectionMade ; $taken ]

End If

....this will allow, you to have items available/unavible for leases in certain spans of dates just requiring going into a new window ahead of the GTRR's ....

However would I like to point your attention towards:

https://filemakerhacks.com/2012/06/10/dwindling-value-lists-2/

--sd

dwindling2.fmp12

Edited by Søren Dyhr