Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to auto refresh a window (while List or Form view) without getting "bumped"?

Howdy, howdy:

I don't know how to pull this off: We have an ordering database (using WebDirect) where customers place their orders; currently, I have it set up so the window (in List view) auto-refreshes every "x" seconds using the Install OnTimerScript script step. The problem is, if one of our people is in looking at a record when the auto-refresh hits, she's dumped out of the record. (Comment, you warned me about that.)

The way she wants it to work is that the window auto refreshes immediately after each new order (record) is filed/created, but she doesn't want to get dumped out of the record of an order she's looking at. How can I pull this off? I imagine it involves using New Window when she clicks on an order--with the "original" order updating in the background--but I don't know if that's a good way or if there's a better way of doing things.

TIA for your help,

Rich

2 hours ago, Rich S said:

Comment, you warned me about that.

I did? Could you point back to the original thread? Because I don't understand your current description. Why would refreshing the window "dump [the user] out of the record" (whatever that means)? According to the help, the only side effect in WebDirect is closing all open popovers.

Sure: You had mentioned it in passing in this one: 

I'll make a vid of what happens on-screen and will post it later, probably next week. The staff here use FMP on their client machines to watch for new orders and process them.

I see. But the script in question does not "refresh a window". It performs a find and a sort. If you want to keep her on the same record (in the same window) while this happens, you will have to remember the PK or the RecordID of the current record before performing these actions and navigate to it afterwards. And of course this will succeed only if the current record will be included in the new found set.