Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server 4 crashing under Windows NT

john white ifc

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I do database maintenance and troubleshooting for a client using a FileMaker 4.1 database running under FM Server 3 on Windows NT. They've had some problems with the server application. Those problems seem to be resolved, but I'm out of my depth, so I'd like to get an expert opinion.

If you're experienced with the NT environment, please read through the problem description, and let me know if there's anything else that needs to be done.

The client's IT Administrator reported a series of crashes of FileMaker Server over a two week period. I had her send me screenshots of dialogs from Dr Watson and Event Viewer.

The Dr Watson report simply said:

- - - An application error has occurred and an application error log is being generated.

- - - FMSERVER.EXE

- - - Exception: access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x0040bab9

Event Viewer gave two entries from the time of the crash. The entry details were:

- - - Source=Perflib, Category=None, Event=1008

- - - Source=apcctrs, Category=None, Event=2000

There were no useful details on the apcctrs entry. However, the Perflib entry details said:

- - - The Open Procedure for service "UPS" in DLL "apcctrs.dll" failed.

- - - Performance data for this service will not be available.

- - - Status code returned is DWORD 0.

According to the IT Admin, the UPS software keeps the power up and running when the central power system is off. She restarted that service, and hasn't had any crashes since.

Is there anything more I should do or check into?

Thanks for your help.

File corruption, yeah, I've read that's a possible cause of the kind of access violation we got. However, nothing suggestive of file corruption is showing up at the user's end (at least, nothing that's been reported to me).

The client runs weekly compression backup, so the files should be in good shape.

I used to sometimes run the Recover procedure if I *thought* a file was heading for trouble, but I've since seen the recommendation that you shouldn't do a recovery until you have to.

Maybe I can't do anything but wait.

This topic is 7926 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.