Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Export Files with Terminal Server

bwillett

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been testing out serving our FileMaker solution to some WAN clients via Microsoft Terminal Server and have encountered a problem with one of the database's features that allows users to copy field data from one record into another using a button-activated script.

Perhaps someone who understands the way FileMaker interacts with Terminal Server better than I do can shed some light on what is happening here.

When users use FileMaker via Terminal Services invoke the script (which exports the field data without dialog and then imports into the new record), they receive the error message "Temp could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, remove the write protection or use a different disk." After clearing the message, the Open dialog appears.

Initially I suspected a file permissions problem on the Terminal Server which was preventing users

What is happening is that with the Filemaker Export dialogs supressed and a filename already selected it is not allowing the user the option of storing the file in a location of thier choosing. The script has been told to put the file "Temp.fp5" into the "c:jsmithprivatedocs" folder.

The only options that I can think of in this situation are: to NOT specify the filename and have the user select the location for the file; to have the temp file stuck in a common location that all users have access to; or not use a temp export file at all and create the records via a loop and copy the data via relationships.

captkurt,

I've examined the export script and it doesn't specify *any* location for the destination of the export file, so my guess the target for the export is being determined by some default behavior in FileMaker and/or Terminal Server.

Is there a way to define a specific path for an no-dialog export? I would love to know what it is. Especially if it would allow me to refer to environment variables so the script would always export to the current session user's profile folder.

Thanks,

bwillett

This topic is 7919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.