Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Divide Record Categories into Separate Tables

Tmunix

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a database to manage condominium expenses, but I've hit a roadblock and need some assistance.

I've created a table that lists all the expenses, each assigned to a specific category (e.g., electricity, insurance, lift, cleaning). However, I now need to separate these expenses into individual tables for each category (electricity, insurance, lift, cleaning). 

Can someone guide me on how to accomplish this? I'm feeling quite stuck and would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions to resolve this issue.

Thank you!

That would be a lot of tables for each categories. And as you add more categories you would be needing to extend schema to support it. 

Can you explain the purpose you would desire to have discrete tables per category? 

What goal are you attempting to achieve? 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Tmunix said:

However, I now need to separate these expenses into individual tables for each category (electricity, insurance, lift, cleaning)

The problem is how would you summarize effectively if everything is relational jumps from each other, well virtuallist reporting would do  ... but do you have the skills, the topic is pretty abstract?

https://filemakerhacks.com/2020/02/19/virtual-portal/

Perhaps you would be better of, watching this movie:

but beware, it's not for the fainthearted!!!!

But the solution to your problems would be keeping them in the same table, and then perform some of the shenanigans from this thread:

--sd

Edited by Søren Dyhr

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 11:02 PM, Tmunix said:

However, I now need to separate these expenses into individual tables for each category (electricity, insurance, lift, cleaning). 

Or ....take a look here:

--sd

Edited by Søren Dyhr