Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

How to make a layout with 2-page (book like) view

Dr.Hamed

I have a file with 100 records, each record is a scanned image of one page in a book.  So my layout shows single pages.  What can I do to show two pages of the book (left and right sides as an open book)? or in another word to be able to create a related table with 50 records in addition to the original one.

I don't think you need another table. You can simply show data from the next record on a layout of your existing table.

How exactly to do that depends on the definition of "next record". Something we already discussed before:
https://fmforums.com/topic/110026-how-to-join-the-content-of-two-records/?do=findComment&comment=491638

Edited by comment

You could solve this simply by having buttons that move 2 records forward or back. I believe that would still be simpler than adding the extra table with 50 records.

But if you want to go that way, it could work too. All you would need for this is a numbering system, so that each record in the parent table (numbered from 1 to 50) is related to 2 records in the Pages table (numbered from 1 to 100), via a calculation field (result is Text) =

Let (
pageNum1 = 2 * ( SerNum - 1 ) + 1
;
List ( pageNum1 ; pageNum1 + 1 )
)

where SerNum is the serial number field in the parent table.

--
P.S. Are you really still on version 11?  It would be easier to show you this in a demo file, but it's difficult for me to produce such file because my v.11 keeps crashing.

I don't know how to do that with my pages being scanned and stored in a container field.

I'm curious to know a simpler method (having buttons that move two records forward or backword

Thanks

Yes I'm still working with v11 pro on Windows 11 with no problems at all.

Edited by Dr.Hamed

Define a script with a single step:

Go to Record/Request/Page [ With dialog: Off; Get ( RecordNumber ) + Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]

Make one button call this script with a parameter of 2, and the other -2.

Note that this requires you to start with a full found set and at record #1 (or at least at a record with an odd number). Perhaps you should make a startup script that does this.

Edited by comment