File access

This topic is 8134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several files that I would like to have available to many people.

In the past I have published them to the web with Web Companion. The interface via Internet Explorer and Netscape was not very user friendly. The browsers also did not display the files as they were displayed on a local computer.

What is the recommended way to publish files so many people can use them?

Can plug ins accomplish this task?

Is direct access to the server the best way, if so what kind of license is required from Filemaker? I don't want to by hundreds of copies.

Thanks,

Web Companion is NOT a method for circumventing the purchasing of licenses from Filemaker, it is designed as a way to make databases available to the web.

Assuming that all users are on the same LAN, Filemaker Server along with a site license for Filemaker Pro clients is the best method of providing access to the databases. You will save far more money in increased productivity than the licensing will cost.

If the users are NOT on the same LAN and are really connecting over the web, then you might need to look into some additional programming and development of a web specific interface. Using programs such as Lasso will give you much more control and capabilities than what simply using Web Companion allows.

I was NOT trying to circumvent the licenses. I am looking for the best way to get the data to the users.

Right now we are using Filemaker Unlimited on the server.

Sounds like what you are suggesting is Filemaker Server with site licenses.

Thanks,

We have a local area network behind a firewall. Users have acces to several servers via the network. Our server is just one of the available connections. All have dedicated IP addresses.

The users are all located in a single building.

Hi, you wrote:

quote:

in the past I have published them to the web with Web Companion. The interface via Internet Explorer and Netscape was not very user friendly. The browsers also did not display the files as they were displayed on a local computer.

This sounds like Instant web publishing again!

If you use one of the custom formats, then the look and feel is only limited by your html skills and you also get a lot of extra tools to work with like inline actions, includes and delivering calculated html strings.

There are some limits with online dynamic publishing, though they are the same whatever database engine you're using. Basically your interaction with the database is limited to a series of post actions and you also have to work out alternatives to using scripts. This means that you get the best results if you design the database structure with the web in mind rather than trying to publish an existing one that's been designed for used with client software.

If you have some specific problems, i might have examples that would give you a starting point

regards, jeff

This topic is 8134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.