Need more capacity - is RAIC the answer?

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an application running on a G4 server with FM5 Unlimited / webstar / lasso.

Three days a year it has to support 200 users simultaneously. They each will edit around 30 of their own records, about 5,000 total.

The first run was a disaster. After the users started piling on, it slowed to a crawl and made everybody real grumpy before we finally gave up and let them go home. We have plenty of bandwidth. The bottleneck seems to be the single Filemaker client.

I have seen some references to RAIC, but can't see any posts or much info on it anywhere on how to configure it (what software versions go where, where the DB files reside, etc..)

Does anyone know where I can get basic (and then perhaps more detailed) info on setting up a RAIC? I am pretty hardware illiterate...

First thing, get the FMPU off the same machine as LAsso and Webstar. See if that improves the eprformance. If FMPU goes into the background, its performance tanks.

Second, a RAIC is configured with the Web Server Connector and the Web Server on one machine pointing to 2 or more machines running FMPU that draw their files froma a 3rd machine running FIleMAker Server. There are several diagrams and white papers on the FMI site that describe this process.

HTH

Old Advance Man

RE: If FMPU goes into the background, its performance tanks.

Definitely and much more on MacOS than on Windows NT or W2000.

Today I was testing our new protection filter and couple of browsers fired at WebCompanion continuous requests.

WebCompanion was using 390-409 threads!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe MacX will cope with this (I do not know if today or within a year), so is Windows2000 but not any of the MacOS especially when it is in background! And other applications are running.

RAIC will definitely help also depending on what you will run that and if on MacOS, then dedicated machine for each job is a must!

I appreciate the responses. Thanks. I am not able to locate the specific documentation pieces to which Steven refers. Found a couple of references to RAICs in the tech support database, but only very high level. Absolutely no details or technical info. Certainly no diagrams.

Can anybody direct me to something specific?

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.