Update remote database

This topic is 8086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a database with 9 related files, many scripts, etc. We have an office on each coast. Is there a way that we can update each other periodically? This would mean that if someone here (or there) added a new record, a comment or any other information to any of the files, the database at the other location could also obtain this information. I'm guessing there are probably multiple ways of accomplishing this. We need a secure method that doesn't require a big investment and is also easy to use (if there is such a thing).

Thank you.

Safest method is to have server on one location and the other end will just connect through TCP/IP.

It depends on structure and number of users, but you can start with 128k lines for 2-5 users.

FM is just sending smallest possible amounts of data. No fancy graphic on layouts! Only FM vector graphic is recommended.

quote:

Originally posted by DWarcken:

Thank you for your reply.

We have someone working on this. I have been reading some other threads, as well. At issue currently are security (of course) and the fact that both locations are using a dsl connection. Any suggestions, warnings, etc. are appreciated. There will be only one remote user. The layouts are basic FileMaker layouts (no pictures except for our logo on one). There are portals, scripts and buttons (lots of buttons).

You may want to trim back on the buttons especially if they were not amde with the utton tool.

Also, you are very correct about security. Be sure the files have very good security schemes in place.

See the security link at

http://www.FMP-Power.com for added info on security.

Old Advance Man

Thank you for your reply.

We have someone working on this. I have been reading some other threads, as well. At issue currently are security (of course) and the fact that both locations are using a dsl connection. Any suggestions, warnings, etc. are appreciated. There will be only one remote user. The layouts are basic FileMaker layouts (no pictures except for our logo on one). There are portals, scripts and buttons (lots of buttons).

Even on a limited use basis, is it possible that two or more users would be online at the same time. If so then running scripts can be a problem. You will find adequate discussion about scripts on the cdml forum.

As far as I know, I am the originator of and only one in the world with a workaround to the script problem. I will be making a site available next week (if all goes according to today's plan) which will demonstrate the success of my workaround.

Keith, I was under impression, that it will be FM to FM communication. In that case no problem whatsoever.

If the communication will be through Browser and Instant Publishing, then security must be tighter especially in all databases. Instant Publishing also doesn't work fully as client.

I'll suggest going for FM client on the remote side.

This topic is 8086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.