Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selling full access along with solutions

This topic is 7853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is an excellent question, I hope we get some responses. It used to be popular to sell low end FM solutions with complete access. I don't seem to see as much of that these days. Maybe there is just not a low cost enough way to reach people with the availability of such products.

Is there any interest out there in a section of the forums for this type of Low Cost/Shareware/Freeware FM Solutions?

-bd

Yes, this is a good topic. I remember something about this about a year ago.

I only started selling some runtimes earlier this year (not much success, I think it might be my market). But I look at it from a support standpoint. If you give customers full access to it, then do you support them when they screw something up? I would say yes, but you charge them up the yang.

In my market, there is no real need to give full access so I don't. But I can understand giving full access in the spirit of open source projects.

Ken

I think this one really depends upon the target audience. Runtimes are fine for the end user/FM non-developer. Another market is people, like many participating in these forums, who what "starter solutions" to build upon. In this case, not much support is needed, but an unlocked solution is what is desired. I don't think shareware is too successful, it really ends up as freeware. Perhaps some pay for download with a more nominal fee is the answer. $5 per download is better than $25 shareware fee with 1 in 100 users paying.

-bd

Another market is people, like many participating in these forums, who what "starter solutions" to build upon. In this case, not much support is needed, but an unlocked solution is what is desired.

Surely. The help I have received on these forums has been the most invaluable part of my FM growth. It is quite possible for people to assemble powerful and complex db systems with nothing more than a copy of FM and the insight freely given in this FM Forums community.

As you said Brent, I think it is a matter of your target audience. My runtimes were automated marketing dbs for insurance and digital photo dbs for appraisal photos.

Ken

Good point. My latest solution is not really aimed at FM developers however it could be used as a starting point for some. Perhaps I should set up two price points.

Also, I'm wondering what you mean by "I don't think shareware is too successful, it really ends up as freeware". Do you mean Filemaker solutions marketed as shareware or any software marketed as shareware?

I think it would be virtually impossible to charge per download if the end user hasn't been able to try the software first.

Thomas

This topic is 7853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.