Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Duplicate Filenames Okay w/ Relative Addressing?

FritzK

This topic is 7963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is it okay to have multiple sets of related dbs on the same PC--with the dbs in each set are named the same--so long as relative addressing is used in relationships and calls for external scripts? Other threads I've found touch on this question but don't answer it.

It's been suggested to me that the answer is 'yes,' and I've tested this possibility successfully. But I know from experience that with earlier versions of FMP you were asking for trouble if you had duplicate copies, and I haven't found any statement by FileMaker saying that duplicate names are okay if relative addressing is used.

Let me explain why I care: I have a FMP 5.5 solution using related DBs that I want the user to be able to easily duplicate and to run as independent solutions on the same PC. Ideally, this will be as simple as duplicating the folder containing the dbs and giving the folder a meaningful name. It is not practical (a value judgement, I know) to provide the user or ask him/her to create multiple copies of the solution each with dbs having unique names.

Thanks,

I'd be really interested in hearing what others have to say about this. I have backup copies of databases in progress in my system, and they don't seem to get in the way. But I would never run more than one at the same time... that might cause FileMaker to get confused.

--

Jason

I would NEVER actively open more than 1 DB with the same name. even if it seems to work, how can you be sure? And the minute one of those DBs is unavailable for some reason, FMP will open the next one and continue on its merry way with you none the wiser.

If this is a oft occuring situaition, invest in Filemaker Developer, which allows you to rename entire solutions. This is what we do and I have 5 servers filled with solutions that were all based upon the same set of files, just given unique names for that solution.

• Newbies

I know what captkurk means by FileMaker going on its merry way. However, when I've intentionally fouled up my solution by removing or renaming a db that other dbs in the solution expect to be in the same folder, FMP 5.5 gives a message saying it can't find the db and asking where it is. So there is the possibility (e.g. via a startup script) to shutdown the solution before any damage is done.

As for renaming, if I rename dbs manually or with Dev 6, it seems I will be technically correct but will have a solution that is useless in the real world (at least that's how it seems).

I agree that FMP developers have been taught that duplicate filenames are BAD. But is that still true?

Thanks for the feedback.

You can rename files without Developer. All relationships and script references break, however all you need to do is reset them. When FMP warns of a missing file, just poit it to the renamed database and it'll remember it.

The only problem is ensuring you've found every reference to the renamed file in your solution.

This topic is 7963 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.