Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

sending mail from host not client

This topic is 7953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database set up and have included a button to send me an email. Sort of a trouble ticketing DB. The database is hosted, that is it's set up for multi-user but does not run FileMaker Server. Since not all of the users will be using Eudora, is there a way to set it up so that when a user sends an email, the email is generated from the hosted location and not the client location.

Thanks!

I was just contemplating doing something like this for a fax situation. Not sureif it will work yet.

You'd probably create a new database file "emailqueue"

Anything you want e-mailed, you'd simply put it in that db (should include: to, subject and body). You would NOT use any e-mail scripts on the client machine.

Then you'd have to set up your host machine to check for new records in that database every given time interval, and then sent them (and mark them as sent so they aren't sent again).

I guess the only thing I'm not sure about is how to set up your host to keep checking (say every 10 minutes... depending on your needs), for new messages. I would imagine this is a job for AppleScript?

I don't plan on doing it any time soon, so you better start without me, but do let me know how it goes!

I still have to figure out how it's actually going to send the fax without any user sitting at the machine to monitor transmission errors, etc... I'll probably end up passing it along to an HP 3200M/3300 series Laser Fax machine via USB...

Mail is always sent from the client because that's where the script is executed.

The only way to avoid the Eudora issue is to use the "Open URL" script step instead of "Send Mail". Open URL will use the default mail client to send the mail.

To learn how to structure the URL do a forum search for "mailto" or "open url."

I have done something similar, can't remember the full ins and outs, but will give it a go (plus the solution was hosted - with a server version)

On the server I also have a Filemaker client. In the Main database itself I have a script which finds the relevant records, then sends an email (How to do that is a completely different question!!)

On the server I have a DB with no fields, but with a script (Script1) to open the main DB and run an external script (Script 2). It is set to run the script1 on opening . Using the scheduled tasks on the server, I get it to open the first database (which runs the script) at say 3 in the morning, and sends messages out via outlook on the server.

I hope that all made sense?? And I dont know if it is advisable to have a client running on the server, but is only for 2 mins everyday and seems to be working fine!!!

This topic is 7953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.