Assigning duplicate scripts to different buttons

This topic is 7920 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Help needed...

2 databases.... 1 containing various contact through our company history with a portal linking to another database of telephone calls and activities with the specific client.

I have created buttons that I would like to enable to search the contact database by the Account Manager (only 4 variables).

Currently this Account Manager field is a drop down box, listing the four available options. I seem to be unable to assign a button to a single account manager, so if the account manager clicks on his or her name, the relevant accounts will be searched for and displayed.

I have been banging my head against a wall with this for about a week now and seem to be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerz

grin.gif

I was suggesting the user select a name, then click a button.

Anyway...after re-reading, I think I understand your situation. If I understand right, you want to filter a portal.

In the local file, define a field as your popup and assign a value list to it that displays all available choices from your remote record. Then create a relationship based on the choice in the popup field. This way, choosing a different name in the popup relates the portal to a different set of records.

In your case, you'll just need to make sure you store the account manager in the remote file, then create the relationship to it from the account manager popup that is in your local file.

There is a method by which a script can be selectively triggered directly from a selection made in a pop-up list, without the use of a plug-in.

If you're interested, there is a demo of just such a technique available for free download from my web site at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos/ScriptMenu.zip

It is a cross-platform technique created entirely in FileMaker and is compatible with versions 4 through 6 (the demo file is in fp5 format). It's a password-free file, so you'll be able to pull it apart to see what makes it work.

----------------------

Ray

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker

This topic is 7920 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.